108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Which lan interface to boot off?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Re: Which lan interface to boot off?

Not console, network. 10/100 is MP network. You've got a cable in there. Why? You telneting into the MP while also going through the serial console port?

Are your server network connections properly attached into a 10/100/1000 port?
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
dictum9
Super Advisor

The one in the foreground is the remote console connection.

the one in the background (the green one) is the GB interfaced used by Ignite, so that the machine can boot off the Ignite server.

Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

It's hard to get the right landmarks from the manufacturer's diagram, but it looks like your right and that is GB B lan port. But in your photo it's marked as 10/100.

a) How can you have a Gigabyte interface in 10/100 MB lan port?

Can you verify a 10/100 MP lan port on the right side of the box? See diagram to navigate.

b) You're sure this isn't a rx2660? or an RP2###?
rick jones
Honored Contributor

Based on the posted picture, there is *no* MP installed - if there were, there would be VGA and CONSOLE/REMOTE/UPS ports showing.

Given there is no MP, that LAN 10/100 port is a system LAN port, not an MP LAN port.

Given the presence of a core lan 10/100 port and lack of MP, I am confident it is *not* an rx2660 - that always comes with an MP/iLO.

Given the rx2620 quickspecs say the core LANs are a pair of 10/100/1000's, I am confident the system is not an rx2620 either.

That leaves only one choice - that the system in question here is actually an rx2600.

Anyhow, since there is no MP, the system console should be pointed at the "non PCI" port listed.

Depending on the OS you are looking to boot/install, it might not be a bad idea to make certain your system has all the latest firmware installed (apologies if that was done already).
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
rick jones
Honored Contributor

What you are calling the "remote console connection" in the forground of the image is the cable connected to "Console" - I'm guessing you call it a remote console connection because there is a terminal server to which you are connecting and it then does RJ45 over serial to the RJ45 to DB-9 connector we see.

In the context of an HP Integrity system with the prospect of an MP, someone hearing "remote console connection" would think you were telnetting to an MP installed into the system (that which your picture shows the system does not have).

From the standpoint of the Integrity system, what you have is just a plain old serial connection, not a "remote console" connection.
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Another photo or two of the right rear and center rear please.

Also, lanadmin -x 0/1/2/3 and verify your speed and duplex. Why? You're in 100B port but calling it 1000B
rick jones
Honored Contributor

Given he cannot get past the console issue during his OS install, getting the lanadmin -x stuff might be a triffle difficult. It looks like he gets the install kernel downloaded just fine, but the console output goes off somewhere.
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Quite right. But ignite is a two step operation, a) load the base kernel for booting up, b) INSTALLING HP-UX.

Loading the kernel is a minute. Installing the O/S is 10 GB.

So I'm questioning a hang up between a) and b) when the kernel first attempts to autonegtiate the speed and duplex between it's nic's and the switch ports.

Page 150 of the attached up above and I guess ignored:

"...Problems that can be solved with _hp_lanadmin_args

When a kernel first boots (this is true even of a normal kernel that is not used for installation) all of the 100bt and Gigabit LAN interfaces attempt to autonegotiate the LAN speed and duplex settings..."

"...Duplex mismatches that can occur in these circumstances can cause extreme throughput problems and Ignite-UX can appear hung or take a significantly longer time to complete tasks...."

IGNITE-UX CAN APPEAR HUNG OR TAKE SIGNIFICANTLY LONGER TIME TO COMPLETE TASKS
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

There is **NO** MP installed, so you need to use

1 P Serial Acpi(PNP0501,0)

as the console.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
dictum9
Super Advisor

What solved it for me is this --

in /etc/inetd.conf

Add this:

tftpd -r blksize

Then I got past the stage where I was stuck.