1752723 Members
6568 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Why are my patches not in bundles?

GXW_1
Frequent Advisor

Why are my patches not in bundles?

On my ignite server I have installed FEATURE11i, HWEnable and QPKBASE and they show up fine when I do an swlist. They show up as bundles.

However, when I look at a server I built from a depot on my ignite server, I see a different picture. On there, I see no FEATURE11i, HWEnable and QPKBASE bundles at all, I just see hundreds of patches listed out individually at the end under "products not contained in a bundle".

Is this Working-As-Designed or have I done something wrong?

Here's the command I used to copy (e.g.) FEATURE11i into my depot:

swcopy -v -s /igx/patches/FEATURE11i_B.11.31.0809.326a.depot -x enforce_dependencies=false \* @ /depots/my_11iv3_Sep08

Is there another flag I need on swcopy which means "copy these as a bundle and not as individual patches"?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
16 REPLIES 16
Ivan Krastev
Honored Contributor

Eric SAUBIGNAC
Honored Contributor

Bonjour,

It should work well like this. You can check that swcopy has correctly copied the bundle with "swlist -s /depots/my_11iv3_Sep08". It should be correct.

Maybe the problem is due to the way you have followed to include this depot in the ignite configuration ?

bright image
Frequent Advisor

You can use the software package builder (x-windows gui) to modify the contents of your depot, create bundles etc...

SPB is freely available from:

http://docs.hp.com/en/SPB/index.html

It is also very useful for creating custom depots and packages.
GXW_1
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the replies.

Ivan, I don't think I need to "make_bundles" as I already have the bundles.

Bright Image, thanks for the suggestion but I don't really think what I'm doing warrants use of SPB. I'm really not doing anything too far off the beaten track - its a very standard 11iv3 depot with just the 3 standard patch bundles added to it.

Eric, I tried the swlist and sure enough the 3 bundles are in there as plain as day.
As for the ignite config, again I don't really see where that can be wrong - as all it is is a make_config to make the config file which points to my depot, and a few manage_index commands to do the INDEX changes. If I was doing that bit wrong then surely the client wouldn't build at all. It does build, it's just that all the patches get taken out of the bundles and left separate for some reason.

Is it worth me posting this in the Ignite secion or do the same folks look in here as well?

James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

hI:

> Is it worth me posting this in the Ignite secion or do the same folks look in here as well?

No. The fact that this lives in the "HP-UX" family is more than sufficient to get the most attention.

Regards!

...JRF...
Eric SAUBIGNAC
Honored Contributor

Maybe you could check on the installed box the file /var/opt/ignite/local/install.log for any error or warning that could explain.

Something else.Don't know how you have configured the ignite server, but following your previous post I guess that you have created an entry dedicated to your patch depot. Something like :

cfg "HP-UX B.11.31 Default" {
description "This selection supplies the default system configuration that HP supplies for the B.11.31 release."
"/var/opt/ignite/config.local"
"/opt/ignite/data/Rel_B.11.31/config"
"/opt/ignite/data/Rel_B.11.31/hw_patches_cfg"
"/var/opt/ignite/data/Rel_B.11.31/core_cfg"
"/var/opt/ignite/data/Rel_B.11.31/YourBUNDLE_cfg"
}

Following this idea, you could also check that your patch bundle has been correctly selected at ignite time. Check for an entry like "init sw_sel "YourBundle"=TRUE in /var/opt/ignite/local/config

Eric
GXW_1
Frequent Advisor

There's nothing worrying in the Ignite log, and the bundles are fine in the local config, e.g.:

init sw_sel "FEATURE11i"=TRUE

However, thats not how I configured Ignite. I don't have an extra line in the config for the bundles, I just swcopied the bundles INTO my core depot and the ignite config points to that depot. I thought that was a legitimate way of doing it?

Eric SAUBIGNAC
Honored Contributor

Well, don't really know what is the "legitimate" way, and even if it exists ;-)

Anyway, I create a separate depot because I prefer no to alter "official" depot created from installation DVD. So I do a make_config/manage_index operation for core OS depot then a second one for my separate depot.

You will find a recent post of my own [ from wich I still wait for answers :-( ]. http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1308169 In this tread there is an attachment that describes how I configure this. I did it successfully before for applications depot, but never tested with a patch depot. An I have a problem :-(

Just a silly question : which version of core OS do you have in your depot ? Because FEATURE11i_B.11.31.0809.326a is already included in 0908 core. Would not it be easier to create a new core depot with latest dvd ?
bright image
Frequent Advisor

Although not ideal, a workaround for this could be to run a swinstall as an ignite post install script. (assuming a standard swinstall of the bundles works ok).