1752805 Members
5595 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Why are my patches not in bundles?

GXW_1
Frequent Advisor

Bright Image, that would probably work fine as a workaround, but I'd rather get to the bottom of this so I understand it fully. Besides, I don't have access to the DVD drive as the box is 000s of miles away.

Eric, the attachment in your other thread is very interesting. I have a very similar situation now. I have split out the FEATURE, HWEnable and QPK bundles into a separate depot and made a separate config for it in the INDEX. All seems to work fine as I can see it in the TUI software tab prior to install, but it doesn't get installed. Subsequent swinstall of the same depot works fine too. Here's the error from my /var/opt/ignite/local/install.log:

======= 01/29/09 14:21:38 UTC BEGIN Software Install (user=root)
(jobid=000002)

* Reading Target System's Installed Product Database (IPD)
* Target IPD: mybox
* Reading Source Depot
* Source depot: 10.11.12.13:/igx/patches/depot
* Analyzing Software To Be Installed
* Creating Load Order
ERROR: No software was selected for install.
* Analysis Summary
- Reboot needed: No
- Kernel build needed: No
* Analyzing Software To Be Installed failed with 1 error.

======= 01/29/09 14:21:42 UTC END Software Install failed with 1 error.
(user=root) (jobid=000002)

Could it be something to do with the way the depot is created? I used the create_depot script supplied and it seems to have made an empty bundle called BUNDLE at the beginning of the depot? Is that suppsoed to be there?

Or is it something to do with the )=TRUE or load_with_any settings? I would have thought that if it shows up on the software tab as Marked = Yes then its good to go? And if it installs manually its in good shape too? So why does the ignite build say there's nothing to install?
Eric SAUBIGNAC
Honored Contributor

Slow answer, but did not want to say silly things ;-), so I did a test.

Your thinking that "I used the create_depot script supplied and it seems to have made an empty bundle called BUNDLE at the beginning of the depot?" is right. create_depot is designed to create a bundle named BUNDLE with downloaded patches. If you have also downloaded preconfigured bundles, like FEATURE11i, the newly created BUNDLE will not contained them. They will be kept as their own in the target depot. An example created with create_depot and a patch_manifest file where I discarded all stand alone patches :

# swlist -s /var/cheops/depot/depot

# Initializing...
# Contacting target "sap00"...
#
# Target: sap00:/var/cheops/depot/depot
#

#
# Bundle(s):
#

BUNDLE B.2009.01.30 Patch Bundle
HWEnable11i B.11.31.0809.326a Hardware Enablement Patches for HP-UX 11i v3, September 2008

And if you take a look at BUNDLE, you can see no product inside :

# swlist -l product -s /var/cheops/depot/depot BUNDLE
# Initializing...
# Contacting target "sap00"...
#
# Target: sap00:/var/cheops/depot/depot
#

BUNDLE B.2009.01.30 Patch Bundle

So, I suppose that the last error found is only due to the fact that BUNDLE is empty. You should remove it from your depot before creating the config file, or simply avoid to select it at ignite install time.

I suppose that if you have selected other bundles, FEATURE, HWEnable and QPK, they are now correctly installed ?

Eric
GXW_1
Frequent Advisor

No, even though I selected them nothing got installed so I'm worse off than I was before when they WERE being installed but not in bundles!

I'll try removing the empty bundle from my depot but I'm sure that'll not make any difference.
Eric SAUBIGNAC
Honored Contributor

Well. I have just made a test for my other thread http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1308169 and when I remove the 2 fautives patches everything works well : my separate patches depot is now correctly installed.

So what you did should work ... but you did not answer to my silly question : which version of core OS do you have in your OE depot ?

And yes an other question : I hope you have registered your separate depot (swlist -l depot) ?
GXW_1
Frequent Advisor

It is an old version of Core OS which is why I wanted to bring it up to date with the latest patch bundles. It is still 11iv3 obviously. I know there is an incompatibility with the difference between load_with_any ~ "HPUXBaseOS" and load_with_any ~ "OpEnvironments" but I thought once I'd worked round that the bundles would still apply.

How do I tell what version the core OS is by the way?

And yes, I have registered the patch depot.
GXW_1
Frequent Advisor

OK, I think I'm getting closer to the answer here. First I removed the empty bundle from my depot. That didn't fix it but it can't have hurt.
The key thing I did was to upgrade Ignite to the latest available - something I should have done at the start, I know.
Anyway, the bundles apply now when I select them during the install dialog - and I mean apply as bundles as opposed to individual patches - so all is well.......
except the fact that I can't get them to install by default AND make them optional. I can either get them to be listed marked as "no" in the software tab, and manually switch that to yes, or I can use load_with_any in the cfg to force that to yes, but then if I DEselect them I get the following error:

----------------------------------
Message From: /opt/ignite/bin/itool ()
WARNING: Software selection: "FEATURE11i" cannot be deselected because either other software that is selected has a dependency on it or it is always to be loaded.
-----------------------------------

That's most likely the load_with_any to blame but I tried using "init sw_sel" instead of just "sw_sel" and that caused exactly the same problem.

Does anyone know what combination of cfg statements might get this working, and ideally, what make_config commands I can use to creat them (as I don't REALLY want to hack the cfg files)
Eric SAUBIGNAC
Honored Contributor

Bonsoir GXW,

Late to answer, but I am out of office from beginning of week, on a "hot" client site and have many things to do ... and no Internet connection in my hotel room :-(

Happy to see that with a separate depot, from which you have removed the empty bundle "BUNDLE", every thing goes better.

I suppose that the fact that you can't unselect "FEATURE11i" has something to deal with the fact it is already present in the OS depot AND in the separate depot, with different versions. In the OS depot, it is mandatory and sure you have dependencies with it. I don't know if you can see both versions in the selection screen. If yes, did you selected the good one ? I mean the one in the separate depot ? If you can't see both version, I am afraid you won't be able to unselect it because it is mandatory and ignite as no way do make difference between them.

May be it is just a silly idea (I have no way there to make a test), but I am pretty sure that if you create a depot of your own, that has no direct relation with the core OS depot, like FEATURE1i can have, you won't have to face such a situation. I mean you will be able to have it selected by defaut and still be able to manually unselect it.

Well, I am to return to my job ;-)