108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: backup and recovery

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jeff Hagstrom
Regular Advisor

backup and recovery

Next week we are upgrading from 10.20 to 11, what can I do to get a full back up of my system in case something goes wrong and I have to restore.
8 REPLIES 8
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Check out make_recovery. This assumes that you have a good backup of all your non vg00 data which should not be affected by you upgrade anyway.
Clay
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Jim Schelling
Occasional Advisor

First run
make_recovery -A. This will make a system boot tape

then create a tape using fbackup to backup the remainder of your files. Unless you have Omniback then just select all the filesystems and back them up.

If you need to recover first boot from the make_recovery tape, and then restore the remainder of your files.
Its for fun. I put it there for fun
Jeff Hagstrom
Regular Advisor

Thanks.
Is make_recovery a 10.20 product or is it part of the Ignite software? Will make recovery back up only vg00? or will it back vg00 & vg01? If not, can I use fbackup for vg01 and the rest of the box?
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

make_recovery (now make_tape_recovery) is part of Ignite/UX, which is available fot 10.20. The latest version is A.3.3.116 and is available for download at http://software.hp.com/products/IUX

make_tape_recovery will only back up vg00. I would use fbackup, or your regular backup utility, to back up the rest of your system.

Do you have your VG00 disk(s) mirrored? If so, I would do the following:

Do your Ignite make_tape_recovery backup.

Break your mirror

Do the upgrade on one of the mirrors. If the upgrade fails, you can boot off of the mirror that you split off. If the upgrade works, redo your mirror so that your 11 vg00 is now mirrored.
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Jeff:

A couple of comments:

Go to the Ignite web site (below) and download the newest version of Ignite. Since you want to "backup" your 10.20 system, make sure to choose the "A" version.

Make a "recovery" tape with the command below. This will provide you with a bootable, installable version of your 10.20 operating system (vg00) from which you could recover your server in the event that you cannot get 11.x established to your satisfaction (doubtful).

You should use 'fbackup' [it's best in my opinion] to backup non-vg00 filesystems.

I assume that you will be doing a cold install of 11.x. This is the best way to move from 10.20, with the least problems. In that case, you can vgexport (with mapfiles) and then vgimport non-vg00 volume groups after the installation. Your 'fbackup' in this case is simply "insurance" since no data is lost during the vgexport process.

There are a wealth of threads here on cold installation, vgexport & vgimport, etc.

The Ignite link is:

http://www.software.hp.com/products/IUX/index.html

The command I use to create a 'make_tape_recovery' tape is simply:

# /opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery -x inc_entire=vg00 -I -v -a /dev/rmt/0mn

...JRF...
Pedro Sousa
Honored Contributor

Hi!
I think, as everyone said, that make_tape_recovery (ignite is the very best idea.
But, I'm almost 100% sure that you can backup all your VGs with the latest version, just using the flag '-x vg00 -x vg01' (I'm not sure this is the sintax, please do man make_tape_recovery).
good luck.
Tim D Fulford
Honored Contributor

Jeff

This is what I do

create mapfiles of all vgolumegroups
# vgexport -s -p -m /tmp/.map
note H/W paths to root & mirror disks

We have mirrored systems, but I still take
o a make_recovery for vg00 (Ignite-UX),
o fbackup for filesystems outside vg00
o a full database backup.
These are only used if things go wrong.

The mirror root disk MUST be bootable, test it if you are not sure (single user mode is OK). This is crucial!!!

I then install the new OS ontop of the primary boot disk. (you can upgrade if you wish but I don't like this option). At this stage I make any necessary increases in /var /usr ... filesystems as required.

Add products, diagnostics, patches etc

import the OLD vg00
# mkdir /dev/vgold00
# mknod /dev/vgold00/group c 64 0x010000
# ioscan -fn -H
# vgimport vgold00 /dev/dsk/c?t?d?
# vgchange -a y vgold00
now mount up the old vg00 on say /old

now import all the other volume groups
# mkdir /dev/
# mknod /dev//group c 64 0x??0000
# vgimport -m /old/tmp/.map -s -v
# vgchange -a y

You can then access all the old cnfiguration stuiff from /old.

When you are happy everything is OK blow away vgold00 & use it to re-mirror the stuff in vg00. If not backout (see below)

Backout
Boot off the mirrored disk, (with lost quorum; hpux -lq).

2nd backout
use make_recovery etc

Remember to put back the diagnostics LIF are etc on both primary & mirror disks

presto either a new system or the old one back

Phew!!!

Good luck

Tim
If you are just upgrading HP-UX then the backup of your other volumes groups will not be required (except if it goes wrong). You
-
boley janowski
Trusted Contributor

im sure im just repeating what every one has already said except on saturday i used a recovery tape from a k460 (dev) and upgraded a k580 from10.20 to 11.0 (production). And no problems at all!!

make_recovery in preview mode and then modified the /var/opt/ignite/recovery/arch.include and removed most all the /dev files from the arch.include. then ran the recovery in resume mode. The 580 had three additional HP-PB lan cards and an HSC card as well (not that it matters but more cpu's and memory as well) anyway I split the 10.20 vg00 mirrors to the external disks and then ran the make_recovery to the internal disk. once this was complete the k580 complained quite abit about the additional hardware. I loaded the needed device drivers and tweeked the kernal a little. Then I imported all the other vgXX's back in and insured all the links and permissions were correct. and then turned it over to the testers. only a few problems showed up like some over looked .profiles and a couple of printer queues needed to be tweeked as well. After all was said and done the migration went well. I hope this is what you were looking for, if you want any specifics on my plan, let me know. Good Luck!!