108797 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

boot lan

SOLVED
Go to solution
Nobody's Hero
Valued Contributor

boot lan

I have an ignite server called 'mailtest' and a client called HP12. I want to try to do an install, accross the lan, initiated by the client. Can I, cntrl +B, interrupt, issue a 'boot lan ipaddress of server'? Do I need to make any changes on the server mailtest, or will HP12 just know to boot fro the IP address I provided?
UNIX IS GOOD
5 REPLIES 5
Hai Nguyen_1
Honored Contributor

Re: boot lan

Robert,

At an ISL prompt, run "search" without quotes to see if the ignite IP is detected. Otherwise, you won't be able to use the command you mention.

Hai
Nobody's Hero
Valued Contributor

Thanks Hai,
I did a search. I see my usual devices, disks and tape. I also see LAN. Is this what you are referring too?
UNIX IS GOOD
John Poff
Honored Contributor

Hi Robert,

If you've configured the IP addresses in your Ignite server for the clients to use, you should be able to boot the client and do:

boot lan install

Your Ignite server and your client need to be on the same subnet. If not, you'll need to setup a boot helper in Ignite.

JP
MANOJ SRIVASTAVA
Honored Contributor
MANOJ SRIVASTAVA
Honored Contributor

here are the details :

If the client system is already running an OS, use this procedure or the bootsys command as described in the previous section.

Step 1. Determine your network server address for the install. If necessary, see your system administrator for this information.
Step 2. Turn the power ON for the target system.
Step 3. When you see a message about stopping the boot search, quickly press and hold Esc down to stop the boot-selection process.

Booting Current Workstations Servers

After the power is turned on, you will see a GUI screen (workstations) that displays instructions to press Esc to stop the boot process. (On servers, the TUI is used.)

Step 1. Press Esc to view the BOOT ADMIN menu:
Command Description
------- -----------
Auto [boot|search] [on|off] Display or set auto flag
Boot [pri|alt|scsi.addr] [isl] Boot from primary,alternate or SCSI
Boot lan[.lan_addr] [install] [isl] Boot from LAN
Chassis [on|off] Enable chassis codes
Diagnostic [on|off] Enable/disable diagnostic boot mode
Fastboot [on|off] Display or set fast boot flag
Help Display the command menu
Information Display system information
LanAddress Display LAN station addresses
Monitor [type] Select monitor type
Path [pri|alt] [lan.id|SCSI.addr] Change boot path
Pim [hpmc|toc|lpmc] Display PIM info
Search [ipl] [scsi|lan [install]] Display potential boot device
Secure [on|off] Display or set security mode
-----------------------------------------------------------
BOOT_ADMIN>

Step 2. If your network only has one Ignite-UX server available, enter:

BOOT ADMIN> boot lan install
Step 3. Otherwise, to make sure you boot from the correct server, either make the system search for servers and pick one or explicitly tell the system where to boot, as follows:
To search for servers type the following (workstations only):

BOOT ADMIN> search lan install

The list of servers will be displayed with IP addresses. You may need to run the nslookup command on another running system to determine which address corresponds to your Ignite-UX server, if this information isn't already available.

Once you know the IP address of your server (as provided by the search or the nslookup command), boot the system by entering:

BOOT ADMIN> boot lan.nn.n.nn.n install

where: nn.n.nn.n is your server's IP address.

The system then begins to load the install kernel from the network server. This should take 3 to 5 minutes.

Manoj Srivastava