1752681 Members
5695 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: bootable ignite dvd config problem

Smucker
Regular Advisor

bootable ignite dvd config problem

We do not use an ignite server, we have always creted standalone topes. I would like to switch that to dvd's. I have create a bootable ignite DVD but am having problems with the config...it cannot find the archive. What steps do I need to go through to create the proper config.

here is what I did to create the dvd

- Created a include/exclude file called include.txt

- /opt/ignite/lbin/list_expander -f /recovery/include.txt >include

- /opt/ignite/data/scripts/make_sys_image -s local -d /recovery/image/ -g /recovery/include

- make_medialif -f /recovery/image/archive_cfg -l /recovery/image/plum3.lif -v

- instl_adm -F plum3.lif
- instl_adm -F plum3.lif -f lif.cfg
- instl_adm -F plum3.lif

- /opt/ignite/lbin/list_expander -CS -f /recovery/include -l /recovery/include.txt

- make_arch_config -c /recovery/image/archive.cfg -i 1 -r 64 -L /recovery/image -n plum3.tar.gz -g /recovery/include -i 1 -t

- mkisofs -U -max-iso9660-filenames -D -o plum3.iso -b plum3.lif -no-emul-boot /recovery/image

- /opt/ignite/lbin/instl_combine -C /recovery/image/plum3.iso

- growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/rdsk/c1t2d0=plum3.iso

- lifls -C /dev/dsk/c1t2d0

The machine boots to ignite but tells me it cannot find the archive. any ideas or other recipies to create a dvd restore image
11 REPLIES 11
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

This document provides the detailed steps to guide you through this process:

http://www.docs.hp.com/en/B2355-90875/ch08s04.html

Pete

Pete
Uday_S_Ankolekar
Honored Contributor

Smucker
Regular Advisor

I think I may know the problem is, but want everyones advice. The archive I created was 3.5gb in size. is there a limitation with pax that will not allow an archive greater than 2gb?

for all that are creating dvd ignite images what are you image sizes?
John P. Kole
Frequent Advisor

We regularly use pax to deal with 14 gig archives (obviously not on optical media). Therefore I don't beleive that is your problem.

However, the default 11.11 and 11.23 cdfs drivers have a limitation of 2 gig per file. There is a patch (PHKL_33110, B.11.23 only) which will allow files to be up to 4 gig.
What could possibly go wrong?
Smucker
Regular Advisor

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am very close to getting a full recovery dvd (that matched the ignite tape recovery). I have one or two small issues to resolve and I will be done
Don Gulotta

Your archive name may need another directory preceeding it in the archive statement.

for mine I had to have

archive_path = "archives/B.11.11_archive.gz"

I found it by pushing a shell and using loadfile ls to load the ls command. Then I could puruse the directory structure and I found what the system was actually looking for.
good luck
OFC_EDM
Respected Contributor

Smucker,

Did you get it working and get past the 2Gb limitation?
The Devil is in the detail.
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Attached is a document I created, with a whole lot of trial and error, where I took a make_tape_recovery tape and used that data to create a DVD.

I struggled with the 2GB limit of the ISO file as well. I have not been able to get past that limit. :(

Hopefully HP will address this at some point in the future.
Smucker
Regular Advisor

Thanks to all that have replied. I have been able to create a Ignite Recovery DVD that works. I have also been able to script it out to automate the process! I have been able to include multiple >2gb files on the dvd that will encompass all of VG00. I have some final tweaking to do to get these to automaticaly restore...but I should have it done in the next couple of weeks (working in my spare time).

The only things included in the additional archives is /var/tmp and /home all else is restored base.

thanks for all the help...