1752725 Members
6007 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: cannot start CDE on brand new B2600 w/10.20

Andrew Cunningham
Frequent Advisor

cannot start CDE on brand new B2600 w/10.20

We just received a brand new B2600/fxe with 10.2 instant ignite. The initial setup went flawlessly.
After when I login via CDE, I get a desktop, but there is a fatal error message box in front.
"Unable to connect to desktop messaging system" Clicking OK ( the only option), logs me off back to the CDE login screen. The message box suggested looking at $HOME/.dt/errorlog.
This showed two error messages
- The tooltalk session server could not be started
- I/O error on display: 0.0

I am totally stuck.
3 REPLIES 3
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Andrew:

This is almost always caused by network or hostname resolution problems. You need to login
using the character based console or a safe mode CDE login should work. Next, see if you can ping a node by ip address. Next by hostname. You should at least have a minimal hosts file with this node and loopback defined.

Be sure to check /etc/nsswitch.conf.

This should get you started down the correct path, Clay
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Andrew Cunningham
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the reply...
I did a search ( which I should have done first) and found the references to disabling the tooltalk in inetd.conf. Doing that solved my problems. I will double check my network settings as well.
Shahul
Esteemed Contributor

Hi

Checkup whether loop back mentioned in /etc/hosts file or not, If not add like this

127.0.0.1 loopback

And make sure that ur machine's IP address and host name is correct in /etc/hosts file. Once U correct this go to runlevel 2 and then to 3 . See this

#init 2

Then

#init 3

Now check up CDE status.

Best of luck

Shahul