108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: create a bootable CD based on a bootable tape

SOLVED
Go to solution
kholikt
Super Advisor

create a bootable CD based on a bootable tape

Is that possible to create a bootable CD based on the content of my make_boot_tape? My ignite ux is located in different subnet and I don't want to setup the boothelper.

I have read through the documentation about how to create customize media in Ignite_UX but this is only for creation of archive.

I still want my archive to store in my Ignite UX server, I want to boot my client from the CD and recover through my Ignite UX server as some servers do not have tape drive attached.
abc
4 REPLIES 4
Brian Markus
Valued Contributor

I've used a program called cdroast on linux to make bootable cd's. I've never tried it on hpux before. Is your burner hanging off of your pc or your hpux server? dd probabily would work to push it off to cd.

Try the linux documentation project page
http://www.linuxdoc.org/ I find a lot of information on that site, then adapt it into my hpux world. :)

Hope that points you in the right direction.

Brian
When a sys-admin say's maybe, they don't mean 'yes'!
Michael Roberts_3
Honored Contributor
Solution

If you've already run make_boot_tape and the tape is at /dev/rmt/0m then you can:

dd if=/dev/rmt/0m of=/var/tmp/cdlif bs=2k

If you are using cdrecord for HP-UX and your cdrw is at /dev/dsk/c1t4d0 then you can:

cdrecord -eject -v dev=1,4,0 -data speed=4 /var/tmp/cdlif

The CD burning software you use must allow for doing raw writes to the CD, ie it doesn't automatically wrap an ISO filesystem around the lif file. The HP-UX bootloader won't find the bootfiles if they are in an ISO filesystem.
etouq ot hguone revelc ton m'i
kholikt
Super Advisor

Thanks for the tips.

May I know is there any software in Windows that will be able to copy the file in raw mode
abc
Sudip Hore_1
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I am using cdrecord to create a bootable CD from a bootable DDS Media.

I do a

# dd if=/dev/rmt/c2t0d0DDS1n of=/tmp/file1

Then ftp the file to a SUN system with a CD writer.

Then we do a

# cat file1 | cdrecord -v -speed=4 dev=0,5,0 tsize=611778560 -

I guess there are some missing steps above.
Where do we arrive at 611778560 from.

The size of file1 is around 32MB. But the specified size is around 611MB.

It still works with file1 and 611778560. But if there are any changes to the file1 because of the contents of DDS Tape it doesn't work because we
don't what value of tsize to specify.

When I do mkisofs -print-size file it comes out with 16108 extents. I am not sure how to derive the tsize from there.

Can anybody explain?

Thanks in Advance,

Sudip