Operating System - HP-UX
1753329 Members
5291 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: create operating system recovery image with make_net_recovery or make_tape_recovery of Host operatin

SOLVED
Go to solution
A.Philip
Occasional Advisor

create operating system recovery image with make_net_recovery or make_tape_recovery of Host operatin

Hi
i have a rx2600 Server and 2 VMs in it(IVM3.5).I am planning to update the Host os to 11iv3 from 11iv2.we do not ahve tape device connected to the server .in this scenarioa how will i create operating system recovery image with make_net_recovery or make_tape_recovery of Host operating system.
14 REPLIES 14
Pulse001
Regular Advisor

Re: create operating system recovery image with make_net_recovery or make_tape_recovery of Host operatin

Hi Philip,

Since you dont have a tape device connected, using make_tape_recovery is out of scope. You have to use make_net_recovery. I have attached a doc i prepared for myself for creating the recovery archive. Please have a look and let me know if any more doubts.
A.Philip
Occasional Advisor

i only have a single maserver and twi IVM guests installed in it. In this scenario if i connect the tape drive localy,how would i add the tape device to server..

Yor attached document looks very usefull but i think could not use in existing setup.. pls advice
Pulse001
Regular Advisor

You mean you want to connect the tape drive to one of the IVM's or to the VM host? Please make it clear
Pulse001
Regular Advisor

Hi Philip,

you can add tape to the VM guest as below ( run this command from VM host)

# hpvmmodify -P VM1 -a tape:scsi::attach:/dev/rmt0

assuming that your VM's name is VM1 and tape drive's device file on VM host is /dev/rmt0.

Then from the VM guest do a ioscan -fnC tape and it should be detected there.
A.Philip
Occasional Advisor

i need to connect the tape drive to both host and guest.The command you ave given for adding the tape to guest is good enough .please also give me the steps to connect it to host.
Thanks
Pulse001
Regular Advisor
Solution

Hi Philip,

On the rx2600 server, you can connect a tape drive either through SCSI or FC HBA. What type of tape drive you plan to add ? You cannot take ignite backup on the FC tape drive.

Adding the SCSI tape drive is quite straightforward and once connection is done, you do a ioscan -fnC tape.
S.N.S
Valued Contributor

The SCSI tape drive would be the easiest option you could have.

HTH
SNS
"Genius is 1% inspiration, 99% Perspiration" - Edison
A.Philip
Occasional Advisor

I am going to connect a External SCSCI tape drive.can it be connected while OS running.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

At your own risk only.

Normally SCSI busses should be opened or closed only if no power is applied.

However, does the host and the guests share the same disks?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!