3547 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

dhcp on other server (solaris8)

Noam Meltzer
Advisor

dhcp on other server (solaris8)

It goes like this:

1- I have a machine i'm trying to install over net with ignite. I run a sniffer on this machine.

2- I have a DHCP server on a Solaris8 machine. I run a sniffer on this machine too.

3- When I do: "boot lan install", the machine finds the ignite server and starting to get the installer through TFTP.

Now, here is the problem:
after receiving the installer, it needs a permanent ip for the machine, so it broadcasts a "DHCP Discover" packet.

I see the DHCP on the solaris giving a "DHCP Offer" but the installer just ignores it, and continues broadcasting until it had enough and getting me to the interactive install.

I tried to put a DHCP server on the ignite server itself. (in addition to the DHCP on the solaris)
Then, after the "DHCP Discover" packet, I see the "DHCP Offer" both from the Solaris and the Ignite machines.
Now my to be installed machine accepts the packet from the ignite server.

How can I make it accept the DHCP Offer from the solaris machine? I don't want/can't run a DHCP server on the ignite machine.

Noam
HP engineers must live on Mars. Otherwise how can you explain the fact that they invented the wheel themselves?
4 REPLIES 4
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Re: dhcp on other server (solaris8)

Hi Noam,

What i would have done is setup the DHCL ip allocation from the ignite server. you can use a set of ip in the ignite server configuration to be allocated to the client. Once the client install is finished you can setup the fixed ip for the client.

Hope this helps.

Regds
pisdakril xuyasos

yes, he can do what you suggested. but that isn't what he asked.
the man asked how can he avoid it.
as i see it its kinda ugly to have to dhcp servers on the same segment.
Noam Meltzer
Advisor

i'm still waiting for an answer.
I really need that help.

Noam
HP engineers must live on Mars. Otherwise how can you explain the fact that they invented the wheel themselves?
Noam Meltzer
Advisor

ok.
I have found the solution.
it goes like this:
when the machine broadcasts the "DHCP Discover" packet,
it has inside it "option 55" (the option for asking what you want to know)
what it also does is sending "option 60" (vendor-class-id) with a string similar to "Ignite-UX_XXXX"
(where XXXX is usually your ignite sevrer)
now, because it doesn't request it in option 55 also, normal dhcp server implemantaion won't reply it (i believe thats what requested by the RFC) with option 60, even if you'll define it.
what you have to do is to force it to send it.
this is done with these following lines your dhcpd.conf file:

option vendor-class-id "Ignite-UX_XXXX";
option dhcp-parameter-request-list 60;

Noam