5126 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

extending / and /stand

Deeos
Regular Advisor

extending / and /stand

Hello experts,

I am going to extend / and /stand filesystems through ignite backup. 2 database has runing in that system with some other VGs instead root VG.can any one tell me wheather my database has to disrupted or not?

will i need some precaution while extending filesystems

or what would be status after restoration.

Regards
Deeos
Deepak
5 REPLIES 5
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: extending / and /stand

The important question: Why do you feel you need more space in / and /stand?

However, the other VGs are not effected, to be sure, do a vgexport in preview mode and store at a safe place.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Depends on what you mean by disrupted. Restoring the Ignite recovery involves re-booting the server. That would bring the database down. If you mean you have file systems in vg00 that contain the database, then, no, it should not be disrupted. If your Ignite archive includes those lvols/filesystems (-x inc_entire=vg00 when backed up), then they will be restored along with everything else. If they were omitted from the archive, then yes, they will be overlaid when vg00 is re-created and you will have to rebuild them. This is why user data does not belong in vg00. You could make a new Ignite archive and make sure they are included, then use that to rebuild vg00 in it's entirety.

Pete

Pete
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

And lastly, if your database was in a separate vg, then it will not be affected, you will simply need to vgimport it after the Ignite restoration.

Pete

Pete
Deeos
Regular Advisor

Hi Torsten,

My database is in vg02. according to you, I need to do following step before extending file system.

1 down the database

#vgchange -a n vg02

#vgexport -s -v -p -m /tmp/vg02database.tmp vg02

then copy this /tmp/vg02database.tmp to other safe location either in other server or in my laptop through ftp.

Regards
Deeos
Deepak
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

No need to take vg02 offline.
vgexport in preview will complain but still do its jobs ( basically creates a map file to be used in the event you need to reimport the vg)

here is another, perhaps safer way if you have an extra disk.

use DRD (Dynamic Root Disk) to create a bootable copy of vg00, do your fixes to / and /stand, boot it make sure all is good. if not simply boot from your origional and try again

there is still a valid question on why you need to extend / and /stand. They are static and typically can be fixed by removing junk files.