New Discussion юеВ

failed to open tape device

SOLVED
Go to solution
jedd
Advisor

failed to open tape device

hi everybody
i'm trying to create tape recovery, but i get a "failed to open device permission denied"
during the prompt remsh is logging in as root
one error says "ipc failure configuration daemon not running"
can somebody please help. also how can i stop the recovery from running. says kill "make_sys_image" but i can't find any process like that on server and client.
i'm running a ignite server on HP735. i'm using the latest ignite B3.5.
would appreciate any help.
thanks
jedd
6 REPLIES 6
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Re: failed to open tape device

Hi Jedd,

If you have mentioned the device file in the command line you should be using the no-rewind device, device file with "mn" extension. Also the ignite backup defaults to /dev/rmt/0mn, so if you are using a device at a different address you should mention the device file name in the ignite backup command line.

Hope this helps.

Regds
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

How exactly are you attempting to do you make_tape_recovery backup?

You mention using remsh. Are remsh'ing to another machine and executing make_tape_recovery? Or are you trying to get make_tape_recovery to see a tape drive on a different machine?

make_tape_recovery will NOT write a tape to a tape drive on a different machine.
jedd
Advisor

Hi all,
what i do is on my server, i create the clients and then run make_tape recovery from there. i have about 12 boxes to do this. i've used it on 2 and it ran fine. but with the last 2, i'm having problems with open tape permissions. i know on the server ,everything is okay then.
jedd
Helen French
Honored Contributor

Hi,

If you are trying for a network based system recovery archive creation, then use make_net_recovery instead of make_tape_recovery.

See man make_net_recovery for more information.

For listing all recovery processes and killing purpose, use:

# ps -aef | grep recovery
# ps -aef | grep /dev/rmt/0m

HTH,
Shiju
Life is a promise, fulfill it!
jedd
Advisor

just to make it clear, i am trying to create local tape recovery archive.
when i run the ignite server, i select create tape recovery and i do local tape on the client
thanks
jedd