1753805 Members
7766 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: fbackup

Jeff Hagstrom
Regular Advisor

fbackup

Is there a way to not stop if a file is in use?
fbackup -0i /a -i /a1 -f /dev/rmt/2m
4 REPLIES 4
Thierry Poels_1
Honored Contributor

hi,
fbackup will stop backing up the file if it is in use, and will retry a number of times (as defined in your config file, laaaaarge files are not retried).
regards,
Thierry.
All unix flavours are exactly the same . . . . . . . . . . for end users anyway.
Peter Maitland
Occasional Advisor

Points Police

This member has assigned points to 2 of 31 responses to his/her questions.

Jeff,

If you want people to go on helping you, you really should go back to your previous postings and assign points to the people who took the time to help you.

Peter
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Jeff:

'fbackup' *will* copy "in-use" files. It is designed to operate these environments.

When 'fbackup' starts to copy a file it notes its timestamp. At the conclusion of the transfer to tape, the timestamp of the file is examined again. If it is unchanged, all is well. IF the timestamps are noted to differ, then fbackup proceeds to recopy the file. By default this will occur five (5) times. You can alter this be changing the parameter in the 'config' file.

See the man pages for more on the 'config' file.

...JRF...
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Jeff (again):

For the best, historical categorization of threads, I would suggest that you choose something like "System Administration" for questions relating to "fbackup". Use the "Ignite" category for your Ignite-related questions, like those you have had on 'make_tape_recovery'.

But, by all means, keep those questions coming!

Regards!

...JRF...