108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

>2GB files with Ignite 11 on HP-UX 10.20

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mike Rightmire
Frequent Advisor

>2GB files with Ignite 11 on HP-UX 10.20

I am running Ignite v.11 on two HP-UX 10.20 boxes. One of the boxes is creating an archive file that is larger than 2GB. I am attempting to load NFS v.3 on the 10.20 boxes, however NONE of the patches recommended by Ignite to do this will load.

The patches recommended do not appear in SAM as options (assumingly because it thinks they are not for this version of HP-UX) and when I try to load the patch manually, I get an 'unable to open or file corrupt' error.

Please can someone direct me to the proper way to get NFS v.3 on my 10.20 systems, so I can support net recovery files larger than 2GB.

Thanks again!
Mike
"If we treated each person we met as if they were carrying an unspeakable burden, we might almost treat each other as we should." Dale Carnegie
8 REPLIES 8
Michael Roberts_3
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: >2GB files with Ignite 11 on HP-UX 10.20

You need to have Ignite-UX version A.2 or greater (for 10.20 Ignite servers) or B.2 or greater (for 11.x Ignite servers). The current versions are A.3.2 and B.3.2.

The NFS v3 patch is PHNE_22117 and is for both s700 and s800 on 10.20.

After the patch is installed you need to make sure that in /etc/rc.config.d/nfsconf MOUNTD_VER is set to 3.

I'll update our FAQ to reflect the new patch number.
etouq ot hguone revelc ton m'i
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

You also want to make sure that you have the version of GZIP installed that will handle files larger than 2GB. The version that is included with HP-UX will NOT handle files larger than 2GB. I think the version you want is 2.4a.

Michael Roberts_3
Honored Contributor

I'd be _very_ careful about replacing the /usr/contrib/bin/gzip command with the latest public domain version. Software Distributor and Ignite-UX are tested with the version that is shipped in /usr/contrib/bin. If command line options change behavior or meaning that could break these programs.

I don't know of any specific problems, just a word to the wise.
etouq ot hguone revelc ton m'i
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Unless HP has changed the version of gzip that is in /usr/contrib/bin, that particular version WILL NOT WORK with files greater than 2GB. I have tried it and I have had problems. I had to get gzip 1.2.4a in order to get support for files greater than 2GB. That version DOES work with files greater than 2GB and does work with Ignite/UX.

Mike Rightmire
Frequent Advisor

Hey Everybody,

Well I have been playing with things for a while. I did get the NFS v.3 patch installed, however it isstill giving me the error message regarding the NFS v.2 not supporting larger than 2 gig. I added the MOUND_VER= 3 lione to one of the servers, but the conf file said if there was no line, it would load version 2 AND 3 by default.

Is this incorrect...do I need to add the line to both servers? And, is there a way to determine which version of NFS is actually running on the system?

Thanks again for all the help!
Mike
"If we treated each person we met as if they were carrying an unspeakable burden, we might almost treat each other as we should." Dale Carnegie
Holger Knoppik
Valued Contributor

Hi there ! Patrick, you installed gzip version 1.2.4a to solve the 2GB-limit-problem. I tried this using swinstall, the fileset is shown by swlist, but the new version doesn't respond. Michael already mentioned to be careful with the new version.
Any ideas what I may have forgotten ?

Thanx for any help,
Holger
Live long and prosper!
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

The version of gzip that comes with HP-UX is installed in /usr/contrib/bin. When you swinstall the new gzip the binary is installed in /opt/gzip/bin.

You could move the /usr/contrib/bin/gzip to /usr/contrib/bin/gzip.old and then 'ln -s /opt/gzip/bin/gzip /usr/contrib/bin/gzip' so you make sure you are using the new gzip.
Mike Rightmire
Frequent Advisor

Patrick is correct. I had to update the NFS on the boxes to version 3, and had to install the new GZip. I did not link the GZip (although that would be the best method to verify you are using the latest GZip ALL the time) I simply backed up the gzip and gunzip files and copied them from the new locations to the old. Worked just as well.

I also figured out why one server was functioning, but the other was not. In the /etc/rc.config.d/nfsconf file, I had an additional line on the server which was not working. It was ...

MOUNT_VER=2

It did not appear in the working servers nfsconf file (indicating it is optional) however what it does is set all mounts to the version indicated (regardless of the NFS version indicated in the MOUNTD_VER=? line.) Once I changed that to ...

MOUNT_VER=3

... it started all mounts as version 3 first, and then version 2 if it could not mount using version 3, and everything seems to be working fine!!!

Thanks for all the help!
Mike