8149 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP-UX 11.31 restore exact full system from full file system backup

aneez
Regular Advisor

hpux 11.31 restore exact full system from full file system backup

hello all,

one of my system failed ( root disk and its mirror disk failed). i have only a full filesystem backup. is there any option to recover the full system from this.

i reinstalled the operating system to a new disk and imported all the data vgs from eva. now the problem is  some of the oracle installation files are in system files missing so not coming up.

is any option to make a recover tape from ignite server archive file.

is there any way to restore the system from the backup which i have?

thanks to all

6 REPLIES 6
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>is any option to make a recover tape from ignite server archive file.

You haven't already done a  make_tape_recovery?

Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Re: hpux 11.31 restore exact full system from full file system backup

A cold installation is not useful as it is missing all the customization and applications (like Oracle).

You mentioned an ignite server. Do you have a backup of the problem server on the Ignite machine? The Ignite server's job is to restore the boot disk.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
aneez
Regular Advisor

Re: hpux 11.31 restore exact full system from full file system backup

hi,

i have an ignite server which has a old image too but its not booting from that. i try to boot from a cd --> install option --> from ignite server gives me ignite version mismatch .

this server crashed one day morning . so we didnt had fine ignite backup on local tape.

regards

Aneez

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>I have only a full filesystem backup. Is there any option to recover the full system from this?

Conceptually since you have a full backup, one could do this with enough time and knowledge.

Unfortunately you may have to restore files one by one.

Or possibly restore to an alternate root, chroot then fool ignite to back up that.

aneez
Regular Advisor

hi

i had one ignite archive of this server on my ignite server. if i try to boot from this server using

1. search lan install it didnt work.

2. i tried using boot from media and install from ignite server also didnt work. it was giving version missmatch error. is any option to make a recovery tape from the aarchive which i have?. if i move that archve to one of my loal server and make a recovery tape is possible ??

thanks

RAJD1
Valued Contributor

Aneez,

Few options are here:

A]
- If your ignite server configred correctly , you can boot the client using boot lan.X.X.X.X [Where X.X.X.X is ignite server ip] , and then choosing the ignite image of the server from the drop down menu, in the OE section of the install window.

B]
Do you have taken an Ignite tape backup.
- if yes, straight forward you can restore using the ignite tape.

C]
- else try bootsys: from a runnig OS on the target server use bootsys command with options, to restore the version of OE from the network image , specify the clientname to boot using bootsys with and bootimage file location of that version.
- You can use the bootsys command from your ignite server, (make sure remshd is allowed. It will install the remfs then it will boot using the Ignite boot image, then to locate the network ignite backup image.

HTH.
Rajib.