4984 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: icodd Caught exception: failed to get partition information

Deborah Schwarzenbach
Occasional Contributor

icodd Caught exception: failed to get partition information

Hello All,
While looking around for an answer to my problem, I saw this question with no answer:
------
the message in syslog is:
syslog: icodd: Caught exception: ERROR: Failed to get partition information.

This is propably becouse there was rp7420 firmware update and then MP lost configuration of partitions (main MP). It was recovered but as I can see icodd does not retrive information correctly. Any way to fix this? Or maybe reinitiate icodd information ?

The server I get this error message on is splited into 2 partitions (hardware). HP-UX is 11i v1.
(ofcourse removing a line from /etc/inittab fixes too fast respowning but that's not the "real fix" for me).
------------
This is my problem also, the message is filling up syslog. It's on an rp7420 duel partitioned server. It also has had a firmware upgrade. Does anyone know how to fix this and could you explain it to me because I'm not sure what the icodd is and how it works in the /etc/inittab.
Thanks for any help,
Debbie
4 REPLIES 4
IT_2007
Honored Contributor

It seems your initial partition had iCOD software installed and when you splitted into two partitions, iCOD doesn't like it. You need to talk to HP since iCOD can be activated and deactivated with HP rep's help only. That's what I had in my past experience.

iCOD= Instalnce Capacity On Demand to activate CPU's whenever it is required. Very expensive per CPU, license based.
Marvin Strong
Honored Contributor

icodd is the instant capacity on demand daemon

man icodd for more information.

There is a userguide for it installed under /usr/share/doc/icodUserGuide.pdf

I don't know how to quickly solve your problem but hopefully that will provide some useful information.

IT_2007
Honored Contributor

Also you can remove if you are not using iCOD which will stop filling up syslog.

swremove -x enforce_scripts=false -x enforce_dependencies=false B9073BA

It won't reboot server by removing iCOD.

Deborah Schwarzenbach
Occasional Contributor

Found Patch PHCO_29833 for 11.11, installed and had to reboot the server. Worked like a charm. Thanks for the input I learned a lot.