5075 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ignite alternative

Pieter_5
Advisor

ignite alternative

Hi,

My tape-device for an old HP-box is not working anymore. Is there an alternative for booting for a ingite-tape? Like doing a fresh install from hp-ux cd and doing some frecover from files a saved on another box?
5 REPLIES 5
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

You might look into make_net_recovery. This stores images on a server, as opposed to tape. You can recover from these.

Have a look at this document.
http://docs.hp.com/hpux/onlinedocs/B2355-90837/B2355-90837.html

There are of course methods of using tapes drives on remote systems.
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Bharat Katkar
Honored Contributor

Hi,
If you have Ignite Server running configure it Igniting PA/IA client. You need to setup /etc/bootptab files, create HPUX os depots and so on. Refer the doc given by Michael for this. After configuring the server you can come down to Your HP Box which you want to install.
1. HAlt it at PDC
2. Main menu> sea lan install
This will search a Ignite Server
3. Main menu> bo lan. install

This will start the installation from the OS image stored on the Ignite Server.

Hope that helps.
Regards,
You need to know a lot to actually know how little you know
Pieter_5
Advisor

I would like to have a simple solution. What if I make an fbackup of vg00 en vg01 with fbackup to disk.

In case of a crash I install an new os on a new disk (disk1) and I also insert another new disk (disk2). I make disk2 a bootable disk and I do a frecover to disk2. I shutdown the system. Put disk2 at the position of disk1. I boot again an I have my OS restored. The recovery of the remaining vg01 after this is simple.
Bharat Katkar
Honored Contributor

Hi,
Yes that is possible but then it is better to local tape drive working. Again i would prefer Ignite to backup VG00 and fbackup for other VG's.

# make_recovery -ACv -d /dev/rmt/0m
This will backup your entire VG00 and in situation of System crash you can simply boot with the this Ignite TAPE and resore entire VG00. Use frecover to restore other VG's.

Regards,
You need to know a lot to actually know how little you know
Kyle Martin
Occasional Advisor

You could do something like fbackup | frecover to another unused volume group.
Then,
1. touch /tmp/vg01.map
2. vgchange -a n /dev/vg01
3. vgexport -v -s -m /tmp/vg01.map /dev/vg01
4. Move the disk onto another system.
5. mkdir /dev/vg##
6. mknod /dev/vg##/group c 64 0x010000
7. ftp the mapfile /tmp/vg01.map to the other machine.
8. vgimport -v -s -m /tmp/vg01.map /dev/vg##
9. vgchange -a y /dev/vg##
10. vgcfgbackup /dev/vg##
This would be good to use for data volume groups.

Make sure not to have any data logical volumes in vg00 and that way, you won't have to worry about backing up anything, other than logfiles, in vg00. Either way, you will have to restore from the recovery CD. Without a tape device, this is probably going to be the easiest way unless you have MirrorDisk/UX.

If you have MirrorDisk/UX, follow the mirroring procedure and then you won't have to worry if a disk goes down. For vg00, make sure you the bootlif set to hpux -lq by doing
# mkboot /dev/rdsk/cxtxdx
# mkboot -a "hpux -lq (;0)/stand/vmunix" /dev/rdsk/cxtxdx

That way, if the boot disk goes down, the other disk will run with quorum.

I hope this helps.