1753834 Members
8421 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ignite dissimilar servers

Rpger Tavener
Occasional Advisor

ignite dissimilar servers

I'd like to make a recovery tape on a K360 (HPUX 11.0) and ignite an L-2000 using the recovery tape. I realize the differences in hardware, but my goal is to just get the root
volume group restored so that I don't have to reinstall a bunch of third party software. I can piece together the rest of the server manually... Has anyone had any luck doing this?

Thanks
When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail!
5 REPLIES 5
Mark van Hassel
Respected Contributor

Re: ignite dissimilar servers

Hi,

Maybe its a better idea to make a backup of the root vg (except /stand) and restore it on the L class.
Igniting a L class from A K class tape will not work.
The surest sign that life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us
John Waller
Esteemed Contributor

K360 is probably only a 32-bit OS version , L2000 seems to only work now with 64-bit even though it was suposed to be 32/64 when first released. Unfortunatly I think that you need to do a cold install then restore all relevent files.
nancy rippey
Trusted Contributor

In our HP environment I have ignited D class to K class and L class successfully. We run all of our servers with an alternate boot disk incase there are problems and need to revert back to the old OS. As long as you have a backup or alternate boot drive I would go ahead with using the ignite tape. If you don't have a back up you would probably be better off installing from scratch.
nrip
Mike Patel
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

I am not sure if you still have problem but just this week I cut recovery tape on D390 and restore on to the L2000 successfully. I use version B.3.3.116 of ignite and use with -AvI options. Please see the attachment below. I hope this helps.

Cloning the D390 to L2000

Please follow the steps:

On the old system do ?vgexport? using following steps:

vgexport ?p ?v ?s ?m vg01.map /dev/vg01

(Do this for all of the volume groups you have ? do not do it on vg00)

Cut the recovery tape using ignite software:

make_tape_recovery ?AvI

Once the tape is done then boot the L2000 using the tape. You will need to interrupt the boot process and specify the path to tape drive. You must determine the hardware path to the drive, use following command.

ioscan ?funC tape

Once you boot from the tape you will need to follow the GUI screen to make modification to the new system that you are working with.

When the install is done successfully, then go ahead and patch the system.

At this point, shutdown both systems, shut down the disk array, move all necessary cables over to new system, then only start new system.

Once the system is up, do vgimport using following syntax. Do this for all the volume groups. (Do not do it for vg00)

vgimport -v -s -m vg01.map /dev/vg01

vgchange ?a y /dev/vg01

mount -a

Thanks,

Mike Patel
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Here is a thread to the to a similar question posed by another of our forum members. He had his solution over there. Hope the same works out with you too.

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,1150,0xae905220af9bd5118ff10090279cd0f9,00.html

Hope this helps

Thanks