1753797 Members
7991 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ignite recovery for rp5470 with 2 free vpars

Bob Brown_1
Frequent Advisor

ignite recovery for rp5470 with 2 free vpars

I have an RP5470, running 11i with the old free vpar s/w splitting the box into 2 parts.

How can I best use ignite/ux to preserve both vpar's and what would my recovery path be should we need to do a bare-h/w recovery?

(1 vpar owns a DLT drive..the other does not own any tape drives).

thanks.

-Bob
9 REPLIES 9
IT_2007
Honored Contributor

Re: ignite recovery for rp5470 with 2 free vpars

you need to take Ignite backup per vpar which will preserve both vpar images.

Didn't understand your question about h/w recovery. Please explain.
Bob Brown_1
Frequent Advisor

Normally, w/o vpar's I would to make_tape_recovery to an attached tape drive. This gets me able to do bare-metal recovery.

With a 2-vpar system, how do I get that same kind of bare-metal recovery?
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

you dont. unless you can move th etape around.

The free version you have of Vpars is out of support, so you may want to consider updating the version.
Also take a read of:
http://docs.hp.com/en/5760/vPars_DVD_TAPE_NET_Usage_V2.pdf
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
IT_2007
Honored Contributor

As Melvyn said, you won't be able to do it that way unless you move Tape drive.

Better update Vpar software for more support on your system.

Another suggestion is take make_net_recovery images for both vpars and easy to recover them with boot helper.
Bob Brown_1
Frequent Advisor

ok..forget the tape drive...what/where would the step-by-step process be to do net recoveries of both vpar's..presuming I need to bare-metal-recover the RP5470?

thanks.

-Bob
IT_2007
Honored Contributor

If you have Ignite server already setup then run make_net_recovery on each vpar pointing to Ignite Server so that image get stored at Ignite server.

Procedure:

On Ignite server:
1. mkdir /archives/vpar1
mkdir /archives/vpar2
chown bin:bin /archives/vpar1 /archives/vpar2
2. vi /etc/exports
add following lines at end of file.

/archives/vpar1 -anon=2,access=vpar1
/archives/vpar2 -anon=2,access=vpar2

then save it and run exportfs -av

On Vpars run following command:

/opt/ignite/bin/make_net_recovery -A -s $SERVER -a $SERVER:/archives/`/usr/bin/hostname` -n 2 -v -x inc_entire=vg00 -x exclude=/var/adm/crash -x exclude=/tmp -x exclude=/var/tmp -d "Recovery Archive of `/usr/bin/hostname`" -P s

Bob Brown_1
Frequent Advisor

then, in a worst case scenerio, where all drives on my RP5470 become toasted....how do I recover both vpar's?

-Bob
IT_2007
Honored Contributor

If both vpars tossed then create Napr and then install Genesis OS and convert to vpar.
Once you convert it then re-ignite that vpar using its image from Ignite server. create second vpar profile and issue vparboot command with -I option means pointing to Ignite server where vpar2 image is available.

If only one vpar is tossed due to hardware issues then recovering would be easier. vparboot command from other running vpar pointing to Ignite server to recover.
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

If you read the document I supplied the link for, it goes through various scenarios, but essentially in a worst case scenario, you recover the the Npar and it's boot discs, then reboot and recover (as an Npar) to the second Voar boot discs, then reboot into Vpars.
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!