1753793 Members
7099 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ignite recovery with secure path

Wayne Green
Frequent Advisor

ignite recovery with secure path

I am curious to know if anyone has tried this as we have experienced problems.

Got a couple of rp5470s connected to an EVA. SP 3.0D hpux11.0 Boot disks are out of space so have a couple of 72GB disks. No problem just ignite recovery onto new disks and create bigger lvols you'd think .....

Got some help from the RC and found firstly had a problem with the GNU tar version loaded to handle files >2GB. The make_medialif script uses tar to copy some files into the image and the syntax it uses is not compatible with GNU tar 1.13.25

Then couldn't activate any of the VGs using devices presented by the securepath drivers. This seems to be because the ignite kernel does not have the securepath driver loaded. Even when the machine is booted at the end of the recovery and the orignal kernel is loaded the spkernelcheck fails.
I'll have a beer, thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Jov
Honored Contributor

Re: ignite recovery with secure path

Hi,
Is the ignite kernel exactly the same as the system kernel you made a back up of?

Rgds

Jov
Wayne Green
Frequent Advisor

problem is that when ignite does the vgimports to resore the non vg00 VGs it can't access the SP devices because the SP module is not loaded in the kernel.

Ran this through at the weekend. All the devices were the same when ignite had finished just had to run the vgimports manually. Means that there needs to be an extra reboot so everything loads up correctly as all the applications are in non vg00 VGs.
I'll have a beer, thanks
Krishnan Viswanathan
Frequent Advisor

If you ignited your server from a golden image or standard image, then you will have to do "vgimport" after the system install.

However, if you had done a "make_tape_recovery" instead, then it would have put back all the system files that were on the old vg00 disk. This would have included the /etc/lvmtab file and all the vgs in the lvmtab would have got activated automatically at boot time. (assuming you had the default /etc/lvmrc settings)
Jov
Honored Contributor

Hi,
What I was getting at was when you do a "make_tape_recovery", the current kernel (no the running on in memory) would have been backed up by ignite. Thus, when restoring from ignite, the same kernel would be restored.

Which is why I am not sure the SP module was not loaded after the restore.

I do recall in the past (a while now) when I had to do an ignite recovery, the system had to be reboot twice. I'll have to dig up my docs to find out, but might be related.

BTW, you can add a post-restore ignite script to load the any module give modules are dynamic, but this might be an issue if the sequence of restoring the non-vg00 data is not a post-restore step.

Rdgs

Jov
Wayne Green
Frequent Advisor

Ran a make_tape_recovery to create the image so installing on the same hardware. Krishnan you make my point. All the VGs should get imported by ignite, they run but they fail. They fail because they can access the EVA luns because the SP drivers are not loaded.

When the ignite is complete and reboots the original kernel is booted. The SP module is loaded but non of the VGs have been imported. So had to run the vgimport for these VGs manually and reboot to restart everything. Could probably put this in a post install script though.

Thanks all.
I'll have a beer, thanks