New Discussion юеВ

ignite tape supoort

SOLVED
Go to solution
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: ignite tape supoort

Hi (again):

Wait. You are running a 64-bit kernel. Your machine would support either a 64-bit or a 32-bit kernel. However, the Ignite recovery tape you make s for the 64-bit kernel *only*. You *cannot* use the recovery tape to transition to a 32-bit kernel. Moving from 32-to-64 bit kernel is an OS upgrade with 'update-ux'. Moving an existing system from 64-to-32 bits, short of a cold-installation, is not supported.

Regards!

...JRF...
hpuxhelp
Regular Advisor

I issued the getconf HW_32_64_CAPABLE : return code 3..I guess it is not capable of doing so? am i right on this??
swlist shows the version B3.3 of ignite tape...should this to be at the current?
In addition, can we use ignite tape from K model and do the recover to N model using the same bit mode??
K model 32 bit to N model 32 bit recovery???
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi (again):

'getconf HW_32_64_CAPABLE' returing a '3' indicates the same as 'getconf HW_CPU_SUPP_BITS' returning '32/64'.

Ignite version's are released often. I'd upgrade to the current one. Version 3.3 dates to April 2001. The current version is A.3.7 or B.4.1. You want the "B" version for 11.x server support. Download it and use 'swinstall' (no reboot required) to update your version:

http://software.hp.com/products/IUX/download.html

You should be able to use your Ignite recovery tape to build a K-to-N server. I've sucessfully done D-to-K, for instance.

Regards!

...JRF...
hpuxhelp
Regular Advisor

HI James,
If my OS level is at 10.20, the correct vesion of Ignite installation should be A.... not B right?
If the version of Ignite is wrong, can you show me how to remove it and install the correct version to it
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

For 10.x systems, you need Ignite-UX Version A.

Pete

Pete
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi (again):

If this is a 10.20 (OS) server then you need to use Ignite's A-version to make recovery tapes and/or install other targets (servers) at 10.20.

If your server is running some version of 11, then Ignite B-version is required. The B-version can then Ignite targets running either 10.20 or 11.x.

Use 'swremove' to remove an incorrct Ignite software version and 'swinstall' the correct one.

BTW, on 10.20 there is no such thing as a 64-bit anything. Too, the 'getconf' calls with arguments like 'KERNEL_BITS' will fail.

Thus, since you seem to be running an 11.x server, you would need Ignite version-B.

Regards!

...JRF...
Regards!

...JRF...
hpuxhelp
Regular Advisor

getconf KERNEL_BITS: Invalid argument...
I tried to do that command again, that is what I got...

this is weird...this morning I was able to run this command fine
hpuxhelp
Regular Advisor

hm...the getconf KERNEL_BITS will failed on os 10.20 ...
I am right on this?
Thank you for all your helps...and that is the last question that I have for a day...
O/S 11 can support either 32 or 64 bits ??
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

You are correct - the 'getconf KERNEL_BITS' command will fail on HP-UX 10.20.

You are also correct in that HP-UX 11.0 (and 11.11 as well) can be installed as either 32 or 64 bit.

James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

Yes, 11.x supports both 32-bit and 64-bit kernels. The ability to run either or both is dependent on the hardware. Newer machines run only 64-bit. For which support which, see the installation guide for the appropriate OS. There are tables of supported systemw therein.

For 11.11 see:

http://docs.hp.com/hpux/onlinedocs/5187-1350/5187-1350.html

Regards!

...JRF...