7630 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

impacts statements

Michael O'brien_1
Regular Advisor

impacts statements

Hi,

I'm re-cloning some systems using make_net_recovery archives. The newly cloned systems should look identical to the original machines. I've change the system.cfg so vg00 logical volumes are the correct size and mount points.

I've clone a couple of systems and all seems to be okay, but I'm just concerned about the impact statements in the archive_cfg. They are different on the scource machine and the clone machines.

How significant are the impact statements if the logical volume have been resized.

Thanks
Michael

5 REPLIES 5
Mridul Shrivastava
Honored Contributor

Re: impacts statements

Impacts talks abt the minimum space requirement to install the image but we can change the space as per our requirment. U can also run archive_impact on the image manually. So the free space will be different on the other servers as they may have diffrent size of HDDs but the used space will be the one showed by impact.
Time has a wonderful way of weeding out the trivial
Sivakumar TS
Honored Contributor

Hi,

archive_impact is run to calculate the per file system disk space impacts for a given cpio or tar archive. archive_impact writes its results as impacts lines in Ignite-UX configuration file. Note that any archives that are produced using relative path names are extracted relative to the "/" directory.
When archive_impact encounters a relative path name, it maps it relative to "/".

PLease check if the "user space" is same in all cloned system. ( from bdf output ). The archive_impact depends on the used space and NOT the total LV size.

With Regards.

Siva.
Nothing is Impossible !
Michael O'brien_1
Regular Advisor

So, I guess to ensure the archive is unpacked correctly on to the clone I should copy the archive_cfg from the source machine to re-ignite the clone machine.

Thanks
Michael
Mridul Shrivastava
Honored Contributor

No its not required to copy cfg files to the clone clients. These files are required when u r restoring the image to the client. So these files r required at Server only.
Time has a wonderful way of weeding out the trivial
Michael O'brien_1
Regular Advisor

Hi,

Sorry , I didn;t fully explain how I'm recloning the new servers. I'm creating a an idential copy of production server's on to a set of server's which already have hpux installed. I'm taking the production ingite archives, amending the system_cfg to included correct hardware path for the root disk and also using the production archive_cfg with the ignite server address updated in the archive_cfg.

I then re-ignite the clone machine, the servers are on sperate sites and networks, each site has it's own ignite server.

Once the clone server has been reignited I then have an exact copy of the production server. I have to complete a couple of post install tasks but everything seems to working.

Thanks for all you help.

Cheers
Michael