8501 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

issue arise after restoration

Marvin L. Diaz
Advisor

issue arise after restoration

Hi Guys,

Can any help me find out what happened to my system after I restored from Ignite. This is the scenario:

- Machine is HP rp7410
- I have created Ignite backup to a tape drive
- I booted the Ignite copy from tape which I have done several times due to I need to extend File System in particular /usr and /.
- After the Ignite restoration has been finished, I had waited for the server to boot-up.
- However it was strange that the logical volume other than that of VG00 is not mounted.
- The server has plenty of VG's in which the application and DB resides.
- To then i had found out that one of my logical volume particularly /dev/vg02 logical volume name has been change from it original defined name. Prior to the FS extending the LV's in VG02 are name like lvdata, lvapps, lvlogs, etc. and it was change to the standard convention of lvol1, lvol2, lvol3..etc
- That was the reason why my FS did not mount due to the /ets/fstab have different contents.
- I did manually mount the LV's to check if data is still there, and it was found out that it is intact and its just the LV names had change.

Can anybody help me find out any reason why such that case had happend.

regards.
5 REPLIES 5
Mike Shilladay
Esteemed Contributor

Re: issue arise after restoration

Hi Marvin,

Do you mount you filesystems anywhere else other than through the fstab file ? This would explain the lack of file systems in /etc/fstab. The names changing might be down to the fact that if the filesystems are not in the fstab then the machine maynot do a vgexport, but because the volume group has a CPU ID associated with it, the recovery did a "best guess import" and used default names.

Mike.
Scot Bean
Honored Contributor

Recovery tape creation has a lot of options. Some of the default options only cover vg00. If you really want to include other VGs, you may need to specify that when the tape is created.

Tell us how you created the tape. If from the command line, give us the syntax.
Marvin L. Diaz
Advisor

I just did the command:
#make_tape_recovery -Av -a /dev/rmt/1mn
skt_skt
Honored Contributor

i would recommend to recover only vg00(and other very important VG/LV through ignite).

So recover vg00 from ignite and do vgimport and activate the other VGs.

Not sure how vg02 got imported with the std lv names
Scot Bean
Honored Contributor

The "-A" option as you used here will only give you vg00, which is what you got.