108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

lan1 not detected during ignite imaging

SOLVED
Go to solution
S Nelson_1
Occasional Contributor

lan1 not detected during ignite imaging

My apologies in advance if ignite is the wrong place for this post.

When I perform a lan boot into the Ignite install/setup screen from my client(RP3410 hp-ux 11.11) to the ignite server(hp-ux 11.23 ignite c.6.8) my second nic card is not detected. I have no trouble seeing the core card and booting off of it. If I rescan the hardware I get the same results.

The ignite server has support for 11.0,11.11, and 11.23 installed.

Nic cards:
lan0: igelan HP PCI 1000Base-T Core
lan1: iether HP AD331-60001 PCI/PCI-X 1000Base-T Adapter

Once i finish the imaging and bring the system up an ioscan -fnC lan shows lan0 only
Doing an ioscan shows the other card as:
0/4/1/0 unknown PCI-X Ethernet (80861026)

Is there some software or driver package that can be added to the ignite server to remedy this or maybe I'm missing a config somewhere?

I have an existing golden image archive for HP-UX 11.11 I am using for the Net install. We have used this archive in the past on tape and never seen this problem.

Let me know what additional info would be helpful?
Thank you for any assistance.
no
6 REPLIES 6
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Re: lan1 not detected during ignite imaging

The card AD331A requires "IEther-00" driver
https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=IEtherEnh-00

I would check of the driver is installed or not using 'swlist -l product | grep -i iether' command output. If not present, you have to install it from HP-UX 11i v1 OE of December 2006 CD or later.

http://docs.hp.com/en/9229/AD331AAD332Aoverview.pdf
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

> 0/4/1/0 unknown PCI-X Ethernet (80861026)

This indication would mean that "iether" driver is either not configured in the kernel, or that the driver version is too old to successfully identify this hardware.

Check the drivers section of the kernel configuration, and make sure the "iether" driver is configured to be "in" the kernel.

When you used this Golden Image in the past, did you use it with exactly this same hardware, or has there been changes? Perhaps a NIC has failed since then and been replaced with a newer model?

What's the release and/or HW enablement patch level of your Golden Image? This document would seem to indicate that a minimum of December 2006 release of HP-UX 11.11 or equivalent HW enablement patch level would be required.

http://docs.hp.com/en/9229/AD331AAD332Aoverview.pdf

This history matrix would seem to indicate that the iether driver version in 11.11 should be at least B.11.11.13 to support the AD331 NIC:

http://docs.hp.com/en/9129/IEtherHistoryMatrix.pdf

MK
MK
Scot Bean
Honored Contributor

You have documented 2 problems here:

1. Your older golden image does not have the later driver/software. You can easily add a new depot to your existing golden image setup and get the software you need.

2. Your ignite server Ignite version is over 3 years old. A newer Ignite version (currently C.7.9) may allow you to see this lan card at install time. Or may not.
S Nelson_1
Occasional Contributor

I ran the following on my ignite server and client

IGNITE SERVER:
ignite01#swlist -l product | grep -i iether
IETHER-DRV B.11.23.0606.01 HP PCI/PCI-X IEther Driver
PHNE_36236 1.0 IETHER 1000Base-SX/T B.11.23.[01-0706] pa
Tch

CLIENT:
bksmcp01# swlist -l product | grep -i iether
IETHER-DRV B.11.11.07 HP PCI Gigabit Ethernet Driver
PHNE_36237 1.0 IETHER 1000Base-SX/T B.11.11.0[4-14] patc
h

It appears that the golden image archive is at driver version B.11.11.07 and should be 11.11.13.

Now that I understand this. Can I just install the 11.11 support for the ignite server from the December 2006 CD (not sure if I have this one)?

My ignite server was originally built with the June 2006 media (currently Ignite version: C.6.8.152) as I needed to retain 11.00 support and couldn't do that with 11.31 due to our lack of the supported media.

I'm guessing the easiest way to do this is add the driver support to the golden image as suggested and configure the other nic later?

no
Scot Bean
Honored Contributor

Looks to me that you need 11.11 Dec 2006 media, or later, to find this driver.

Since 11.11 is so old now, I can no longer find it for free download via software.hp.com, only 11.23 and 11.31 versions are there.

If you still have an HP rep, they could probably get you a copy.

----
Yes, if you don't want to mess up your 11.00 setup, leave the Ignite server version alone.
S Nelson_1
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Everyone for you help!

My problem is sorted out and I have a plan of action.

I have assigned points.

Thanks again!

Sean
no