1753905 Members
10294 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: lanboot not being seen by ignite server but bootpquery is

N Ward
Regular Advisor

lanboot not being seen by ignite server but bootpquery is

I'm using a VM to test ignite server recovery on and its on the same subnet as its ignite server. If I issue a bootpquery using the macaddress I get a response from the ignite server. All good.

However, if I then try a lanboot (even with a profile for the ignite server) it fails with no valid PXE offer received. I have used tcpdump on the ignite server and the lanboot traffic doesn't even appear to be hitting the ignite server, but the bootpquery does? Any ideas?
18 REPLIES 18
Shibin_2
Honored Contributor

I hope you might have done other diagnostics such as dhcptools etc.

Read this thread, it may help.

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1049782
Regards
Shibin
N Ward
Regular Advisor

Hi, yes I have used dhcptools -v and there are no errors. If I issue bootpquery from the client, all the correct information comes back from the ignite server.

I have tried both lanboot on its own and with a dedicated profile for the ignite server. (lanboot -dn profile) tcpdump is not picking up anything hitting the ignite server, but does pick up the bootpquery test ok.
Fabio Ettore
Honored Contributor

Hi,
I'd take a look at tftpd service on Ignite-UX Server.
First of all is it enabled on the Ignite-UX Server (check /etc/inetd.conf)? If it's enabled you should see the port 69 on listening, something like the following:

# netstat -an|grep -i 69
udp 0 0 *.69 *.*

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02023840/c02023840.pdf

If all of above is ok check the tftp functionality by a quick test as indicated on FAQ at point 6-7.

HTH.

Best regards,
Fabio

WISH? IMPROVEMENT!
N Ward
Regular Advisor

Hi Fabio, yes I have done this and can tftp the relevant file to the client no problem.

Further information:

the client is a VM running on an Itanium VM Host, the ignite server is an Itanium BL860 on the same subnet.
N Ward
Regular Advisor

I have also checked the vswitch port type and it is 'lan' not 'avio_lan' and the port is active when the client is at the EFI prompt.
Fabio Ettore
Honored Contributor

I suppose your Ignite-UX Server (Blade) is 11.31, which OS for the VM guest?
Could you boot in the past other systems from this Ignite-UX Server?

Also check that Ignite-UX Server has already the complete filesets for all OS:

swlist -l fileset Ignite-UX:

Ignite-UX.BOOT-KRN-11-11 C.7.10.472 Installation Boot Kernel for B.11.11 clients
Ignite-UX.BOOT-KRN-11-23 C.7.10.472 Installation Boot Kernel for B.11.23 clients
Ignite-UX.BOOT-KRN-11-31 C.7.10.472 Installation Boot Kernel for B.11.31 clients

The reason of such problem is most likely because of bootpd/tftp issues. Since it's not your case I'd check further things with HP Support.
WISH? IMPROVEMENT!
N Ward
Regular Advisor

Thanks, both are running 11.23 and are itanium.

I think due to the fact that tcpdump does not detect traffic hitting the ignite server when the client attempts lanboot it must be network related.
Fabio Ettore
Honored Contributor

Yes, it could be network related but not clear the reason why you can tftp and bootpquery successfully by command line.

Do you see tftp traffic on port 69 of the server when running tftp by command line from the client?

Could you install other systems from this Ignite-UX Server in the past?

WISH? IMPROVEMENT!
N Ward
Regular Advisor

This is the first server I am trying I'm using it as a testbed for restoring.

I haven't checked the port when using tftp but presumably its is fine, since I can tftp the boot file without issue. Also, that wouldn't explain no network traffic received by tcpdump when issuing lanboot? Its a mystery, I was hoping it was the avio_lan issue, however the adapters are type 'lan'. Thanks for your input.