Operating System - HP-UX
1753640 Members
5203 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: live sessions during make_recovery ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Franky Leeuwerck_2
Super Advisor

live sessions during make_recovery ?

Hi,

I am running a DBMS on an HP-UX system. The dbms tables reside on a mounted SAN filesystem.

Can I run a make_recovery tape while the DBMS is up and running for its users ?

Thanks in advance,
Franky
7 REPLIES 7
IT_2007
Honored Contributor
Solution

yes you can. It only takes OS backup which is vg00 onto tape.

make_tape_recovery -A -v -d /dev/rmt/0mn
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Franky:

Yes, you most certainly can create 'make_tape_recovery' Ignite images while your DBMS is up and running.

I say that because I'm sure that you are confining your Ignite tape to vg00 only and I'm sure that your vg00 houses only standard HP-UX operating system logical volumes. If either of these assumptions is false, then you need to re-think how your server is configured.

The filesystems that Ignite is designed to archive and potentially recover are supposed to be nearly static during the archiving process.

Regards!

...JRF...
Franky Leeuwerck_2
Super Advisor

Ok thanks for the replies.

The DBMS systems with filesystems on SAN are all non vg00 volumegroups. So that would be no problem then.

However, I do have some smaller standalone DBMS systems having their filesystems on vg00. Does this mean that I should stop the DBMS before initiating a make_recovery ?

Regards,
Franky
IT_2007
Honored Contributor

If they are static and you want to include them then no need to stop DBMS.

If they are dynamic and still wants to add it recovery then yes.

You can specify options to exclude or include while giving make_tape_recovery command.
Franky Leeuwerck_2
Super Advisor

No, in the latter case, they are not static and I don't want to include them, because I have another backup utility. My only concern was to keep the DBMS up and running while doing the make_recovery.
So, in the latter case, I can exclude them.

Thanks for your inputs.

Franky
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi (again) Franky:

OK, simpel exclude the directories on vg00 that are used by the DBMS. You wouldn't want to restore them anyway via an Ignite recovery.

Simply add one or more '-x exclude=file|dir' statements to your 'make_tape_recovery' command. See the manpages for 'make_tape_recovery' for more details.

Regards!

...JRF...
Franky Leeuwerck_2
Super Advisor

Ok .. thanks James.
That confirms the picture to me.

Best regards,
Franky