1753969 Members
7497 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

make_recovery command

Tang Chee Meng

make_recovery command

Good Day,

I am using HP-UX 10.20 and would like to find out more about the following command:

make_recovery -ACd/dev/rmt/0m

What are the general steps taken during the backup?

What are the general steps taken during the restoration? Is formatting of the hard disk done? What about the partitioning?

When a recovery tape is created from a 2GB Hard disk(single partition), what will happen should I try to restore to a larger hard disk eg 4.5 GB?

When a recovery tape is created from a 4.5GB Hard disk(MULTIPLE partition), what will happen should I try to restore to a larger hard disk eg 6 GB?

In fact, I was trying to upgrade from 4.5 GB har disk to a 6 GB hard disk when the restore seemed to go on fine but it was completed, the hard disk was unable to boot. I attach text file below.

Thank you in advance

11 REPLIES 11
Bill Costigan
Honored Contributor

Re: make_recovery command

Only vg00 will be on the tape.

You'll want to interupt the boot process and the tell the system to search for boot devices. Find the path for the tape drive and boot from it:

e.g. bo P3
don't want to interact with ISL

I don't quite remember 10.20, but you'll want to stop the autorecovery and go to interactive mode, select 'install HPUX' with the option that will let you modify file systems and such.

You can then select the hardware path for the correct disk.

it will format the disk but I don't think it will partition it. [I only use whole disks.]

If each partition shows up as a drive path, you should be able to install it on any partition.
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

Think of it like booting from the CD to do an install except all of your configurations and setting with regards to vg00 and system files will be restored.
In fact the install screen matches the install screen from the CD.

Make sure you specify the switch to include ALL of vg00 or only a subset of core OS files are included in your image.

Our command line on HPUX 11i looks like the below. (The switches on 10.20 version of make_recovery may be different.)
/opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery -I -v -P s -f archive_content -a Tape_device

The archive content file look like this:
inc_entire vg00

Devender Khatana
Honored Contributor

Hi,

You are using a relatively old & unsupported version of HP-Ux. But yes what & all you are trying to say is quite possible with ignite -Ux.

You can restore a backup taken from system with 4 GB disk to the same system with 36 GB plugged in or vice-versa. ( But will give erroe while copying files as your data could be more then the lower size in reality while duing reverse)

Yes it does format atleast one disk which you select for installing OS on. All other disks can be left as it is and can be recovered using vgimport if these were LVM disks or mount commands if these were configured using whole disk approach. Yes it does partition disk into multiple or single based on your selection while installing the OS. If you select to install OS with LVM config then the disk is partiotioned using LVM structure otherwise using whole disk approach.

HTH,
Devender
Impossible itself mentions "I m possible"
Devender Khatana
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Various limitations & ovecomes of various verions are listed here alongwith their release dates.

http://docs.hp.com/en/IUX/docs/release_note.html

Also the latest version can be downloaded from here as well.

http://h20293.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNum
ber=IGNITEUXB

A latest version of ignite is always recomended, allthough it would be difficult to find that for your OS version.

HTH,
Devender
Impossible itself mentions "I m possible"
Tang Chee Meng

Hi,

Thanks to all who have tried to help.

However, I still face problems when I use make_recovery to backup a 4.5GB SCSI-2 disk and restoring to a 5.7GB Ultra SCSI disk.

I attach 2 files:
1) IBM SCSI 0 Normal Restore.txt - Shows restore process from a tape backed up from a 4.5GB Disk to an identical 4.5GB Disk. A successful restore

2) M-Sys SCSI 0 Restore1.txt - Shows restore process from the same tape to a 5.7GB Ultra SCSI disk. Seems to restore sucessfully but disk fails to boot properly.

I suspect that it failed because make_recovery was designed to restore to an identical disk with identical parameters such as tracks, sectors, disks, heads.... Am I right? Is there a way to read my original disk's parameters and partition the 5.7GB disk to identical parameters?

Thanks
Sudeesh
Respected Contributor

Hi,
I dont think make_recovery have such a limitation. I have used it in 10.20 for replicating systems and never faced any issue. Try doing an interactive restore.

Sudeesh
The most predictable thing in life is its unpredictability
Bill Costigan
Honored Contributor

Stop the install at:

Press within 10 seconds to cancel batch-mode installation:

And then use the menus to select the disk you want to use as the root. I think you are correct about the batch-mode recovery, it expects everything to be the same. The interactive lets you change all kinds of stuff.

Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

When you create your Ignite tape, ad the two options: -v -i so your command would be:

make_recovery -ACiv -d /dev/rmt/0m

The -v shows you more details during the creation and -i will automatically stop and allow you to change most everything, from number of disks in your volume group to the size of the various lvols. You can even change the name and IP address of the target system.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
generic_1
Respected Contributor

I assume your new disk was supplied by hp and has HP's firmware on the disk.

If this is a new disk I would confirm the new disk is good.

You may have a bad, new disk :).

I would run the make_recovery -ACiv -d /dev/rmt/0m

Also make sure you have the latest version of ignite and patches installed.

Ive taken 4 gig disks to 18 gig disks without a problem on 10.20

When all is done. Make sure you mirror your OS to a second disk. Its good practice if it is possible.