108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

make_recovery errors

SOLVED
Go to solution
John Dvorchak
Honored Contributor

Re: make_recovery errors

If I understand you, you have a physical disk, your root mirror, also on this physical disk are usrvol1 and usrvol2 but they are gone from the mount list because the disk is bad. Is that right?

If you have a failed or failing disk, in this case the mirror. You can use vxdiskadm to remove it for future replacement. That way the disk name etc are retained for future restoration but just put off for now. vxdiskadm is a menu guided TUI and I think you want menu selection 4 to remove a disk for replacement.

I highly recomend that you get a vxvm admin guide from the Veritas site or see if it is available on HP at docs.hp.com.
If it has wheels or a skirt, you can't afford it.
J V Martinez

Primary disk with usrvol plex 1 is OK

Mirror disk with usrvl plex 2 (mirror) is dead.. we are getting that replaced.

My question was whether make_tape_recovery can ignore the bad disk and continue on its merry way with creating a make recovery tape. anyone know how to bypass this mirror disk problem?
Fabian Brise├▒o
Esteemed Contributor

Hello jv.
I think that with the new version of ignite ux C.7.2, (I think), you can choose to omit certain hardware adderesses, but im not sure, you would need to read the ignite information to check this out.

JV, remember to assign points to every helpfull answer.

Knowledge is power.
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor
Solution

I think the problem is related to the device name "/dev/dsk/-" as indicated in the error messageen which is encountered by save_config.

In case of VxVM, IG-UX only recognised controller based device names like
"/dev/dsk/cXtYdZ" . That's why you see message as unknow disk type not SCSI or HPFL.

The command save_config in case of VxVM, checks the output of vxprint and look for h/w path for each disk in each disk group. Hence in you case, it does see the uknown device named file and flash the message.

The only workaround ( until you get the disk of te plex replaced ) would be removing the plex 2 ( mirror ) if you want make_tape_recovery to succeed.

If you don't wanna remove the plex, then only way is to replace the failed disk of the plex and enable it Then make_tape_recovery will work.
J V Martinez

Thx Sameer - I think you are correct.