108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: make_recovery failure

SOLVED
Go to solution
Eileen Millen
Trusted Contributor

make_recovery failure

I am trying to recover a make_recovery tape to a D class system. The tape was created using another D class system. The orginal system has a lot of NFS mount points. The recovery does load in files and then starts the archive extraction. After a while, it complains about not being able to preserve the owner and group of a /home/username/.profile file. It keeps chugging away for quite a while and then says
Cannot load the OS archive (recovery archive)
The configuration process has incurred an error. It asks if I want to push a shell for debugging. Any idea what is wrong? If I get a shell, what can I look at?
2 REPLIES 2
Mike Rightmire
Frequent Advisor

Eileen,

I am new to HP-UX myself, and I suspect I have little offer regarding your question, however I got a very similar error message after creating a 'Golden Image' on the network for a machine and then attempting to use it to load a system.

To resolve the issue, I simply recreated the image, and it worked fine. I do not know if the image was corrupt, or I inadvertently made a configuration change when I re-created the image, but as nearly as I can remember, I followed the identical steps to generate the image.

Hope this leads you somewhere :-)
Thanks,
Mike
"If we treated each person we met as if they were carrying an unspeakable burden, we might almost treat each other as we should." Dale Carnegie
Eddie Warren
Valued Contributor
Solution

Onc thing you might consider is if the two D-class systems are configured the same in hardware. One way to build a make_recovery tape and custimize it to fit your needs is to do:

make-recovery -v -p -A -d /dev/rmt/Xm (X= device #)

This creates a preview of your make-recovery and puts it in the file:

/var/opt/ignite/recovery/config.recover

Edit this file to configure it to meet your needs on the new system. Once you have configured it correctly just do:

make_recovery -r

This resumes the process and creates your tape.

boot the new system with your new tape and it should complete.

good luck,

Eddie