108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: make_recovery failure

SOLVED
Go to solution
Chet Woods
Frequent Advisor

make_recovery failure

I have lost a disk at one of my remote sites and now am trying to restore from a make_recovery tape previously created. The HP tech onsite is actually doing the restore. Here's the problem I/we are getting. The restore was going for about 45 minutes (usually takes about an hour or so to fully recover)when he saw several I/O errors and then something like this:
Cannot load the OS archive (recovery archive)
The configuration process has incurred an error. It asks if I want to push a shell for debugging.
My problem is I do not or cannot create another make_recovery for the remote site to be back up today. Any suggestions would me much appreciated.

Thanks,
Chet
5 REPLIES 5
Eileen Millen
Trusted Contributor

I got this error when I had not used the
norewind option for the tape on UX10.2
should be
make_recovery -vAC -d /dev/rmt/0mn
I had used
make_recovery -vAC -d /dev/rmt/0m
I could not read any files off of the tape either. You should be able to skip ahead one fileset and then read files with tar.
Chet Woods
Frequent Advisor

Eileen,
I'm not sure if I understand what you mean. Is that skip where the tape is and go forward and use tar to get to the files?

Thanks,
Chet
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

What happens if you answer 'No' to the push recovery shell question? I seem to recall that I had that problem one time, and I answered No and I think it tried to continue on.

I realize that it is probably hard to do, but if you have the exact I/O error messages that it showed, that may be helpful.
Chet Woods
Frequent Advisor

Patrick,
If I type "no" it attempts to boot. It seems either yes or no it attempts to boot. Either way, it wont boot, there is no kernel there. I dont have the exact I/O errors but, it did come to a "pax_ux" prompt. I dont know if that helps at all. Also got an error similiar to this: archive file appears to be corrupt, cannot load OS archive.

Thanks,
Chet
Eileen Millen
Trusted Contributor
Solution

By default if you don't specify a drive, make_recovery uses 0mn with no rewind.
It writes the boot image (HP_UX LIF) 1st and then writes the archive in a second fileset on tape. You are supposed to be able to do
mt -t /dev/rmt/0mn fsf 1 (skip forward)
tar -xvf /dev/rmt/0m filename or path_to_file
to restore files from a successful make_recovery tape.
We use other SCSI IDs on our drives, thats how I got into trouble and didn't use the norewind option.
Another problem I had was that our /home directories on the system were over 2Gb and PAX doesn't handle that. I got the same result as you got. I had to do make_recovery in preview mode and then edit the config file /var/opt/ignite/recovery/arch.include
and remove all of the /home entries.
then do make_recovery -r (to use the new config file