8729 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

make_recovery failure

Dave La Mar
Honored Contributor

Re: make_recovery failure

HB -
This worked. Unfortunately, the new lvmtab does not caontain all the alternate link information contained in the original.
Support has noted we can keep this tape for disaster, but need to put back the original lvmtab file and work out the problem.
Any other suggestions?
dl
"I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information."
Alan Riggs
Honored Contributor

Sure -- just keep the new lvmtab and add back in alternate links (using vgextend) as desired.
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Dave:

If you have executed a 'vgscan', READ the man pages (1M) for it. In addition to adding and/or adjusting alternate links, you need to make sure that your boot information is correct.

Regards!

...JRF...
Dave La Mar
Honored Contributor

Here's the result people -
1. We were misinformed. The new lvmtab does contain the alternate links.
2. The new lvmtab is missing only the vg that is part of a S/G cluster. This is the fail to machine.
3. A vgimport of the missing vg puts the lvmtab file back to the original size and entries.
4. A repeat of make_recovery once again fails.

The link to google may be correct with the reference to large files.
Will run this by support.
Still open to suggestions.
Thanks.
dl
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Dave:

Since you indicate that 'vgdisplay' operates successfully at commandline, but appraently not with an Ignite 'make_recovery' try using a current Ignite version and 'make_tape_recovery' (the replacement for 'make_recovery'.

Download a current set of Ignite software from the Ignite site. No reboot is required for (re)installation:

http://www.software.hp.com/products/IUX/

Use this, in lieu of the old 'make_recovery', to capture a recovery image of all of vg00. The '-I' option has the *same* meaning as the '-i' option of the old 'make_recovery' -- it cause the Ignite process to be interactive when booting from tape:

# make_tape_recovery -x inc_entire=vg00 -I -v -a /dev/rmt/0mn

Regards!

...JRF...
Dave La Mar
Honored Contributor

JF -
In lieu of a solution, Support is suggesting the same thing.
It will be some time before we try this as we are in the midst of a critical time in our conversions.
We have narrowed the problem to the 600+ gb db that resides on another machine and is only in the lvmtab due to MC/SG support.
Our workaround will be to create the make_recovery minus the large vg in lvmtab then
mv the lvmtab containing it back into place following a successful make_recovery.
If anyone can see another solution, we would be much appreciative.
dl
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Dave:

Remember that downloading and installing a new version of Ignite is quite fast. The 'swinstall' takes just a minute or so, and no reboot is necessary. You can then test the 'make_tape_recovery' directly. Please keep us informed. Thanks!

...JRF...
Dave La Mar
Honored Contributor

JF -
The latest version of ignite was installed. Using the syntax you provided make_tape_recovery appeared to work successfully though we still get vgdisplay -v errors.
The -C option is not available using the make_tape_recovery. This allowed a check point for check_recovery and I used the log file to notify the adms of success or failure via email.
Being new to hp-ux I'm not sure of all the options we should be using, but note:
we were running -
/opt/ignite/bin/make_recovery -A -C -v -d /dev/rmt/1mn
The man pages indicate the -A should not be run if one has very large vg's which we do. I tried running make_recovery without -A and it still failed.
Since we backup home directories and all db's reside on external storage with separate backups it looks like the syntax you provided for make_tape_recovery is adequate for our needs.
Thanks to all for the input.
dl
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

The typical make_tape_recovery command that I use is:

/opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery -a /dev/rmt/0mn -I -v -x inc_entire=vg00

Where the options are:

-a /dev/rmt/?mn - No-rewind tape device to use
-I (not this is an UPPER CASE I, not a lower case L) - When booting from the tape, boot into the Interactive installation menu
-v - Verbose output
-x inc_entire=vg00 - Include the ENTIRE vg00 volume group.

You are correct in that the -C option is not available with make_tape_recovery. That option will be going away eventually, at least that's the last I heard.
Dave La Mar
Honored Contributor

Very good. Thanks Pat for the confirmation.
To all that responded -
I have updated my email scripts to tail the new log - /var/opt/ignite/recovery/latest/recovery.log
and thanks again for the input.
dl