New Discussion юеВ

make_tape_recovery completed with warnings

SOLVED
Go to solution
Azzianeizar
Occasional Advisor

make_tape_recovery completed with warnings

Hi,

I perform make_tape_recovery and get the following message and warning at the end.

WARNING: There was a problem with the list of files/directories to archive.
Input: /var/opt/ignite/recovery/2005-06-15,10:54/flist
The following line(s) had too few/incorrect entries in each of them.
Problem lines:
line: 1 100644 1112997601 0 0

======= 06/15/05 11:37:20 MAL make_tape_recovery completed with warnings

Question: Is the tape recovery made ok or complete? Can it be used in the event of disaster? Is there a way to avoid that warning message? Thanks in advance.
9 REPLIES 9
Ermin Borovac
Honored Contributor

Re: make_tape_recovery completed with warnings

Normally entries in flist look like this

9 etc/hosts 100644 1112997601 0 0

Second column represents file name that is archived and first column is the length of the path name (e.g. "etc/hosts" string contains 9 characters).

Now in your case you have an entry where file name is seemingly missing. It is probably file whose name contains single space character or possibly some control characters. This file is probably in the root directory (/), so look in there for this file. Examine the contents of this file and if it's not needed remove it. Warning from make_tape_recovery will disappear.

To get the listing of files on the recovery tape (assumes /dev/rmt/0mn is tape device file).

# mt -t /dev/rmt/0mn fsf 1
# tar tvf /dev/rmt/0mn
Joseph Loo
Honored Contributor

hi,

i would not be too confident in using that. u may like to retry make_tape_recovery and see if the same error occurs.

regards.
what you do not see does not mean you should not believe
Devender Khatana
Honored Contributor

Hi,

As stated earlier, if the file mentioned is not required your backup can be used for disaster. Similar error messages comes if you remove some file from the system after starting backup. Note that the flist is created by make_tape_recovery at the start of the backup having scan all files but when it goes for actually copying file to tape it found that the file is not there & the warning comes.

The warning means that only the file mentioned would not be recovered. This is normal behaviour of the system.

Just a Thought.

HTH,
Devender
Impossible itself mentions "I m possible"
Hoang Chi Cong_1
Honored Contributor

Which option did you use?
It seems that some information was missing.
Recommend to make again the recovery tape. Because it is very importance. Must be no error during the progress!
In order to copy all of vg00 I usually use this command:
#make_tape_recovery -v -A -I -x inc_entire=vg00 -a /dev/rmt/0mn

Regard,
Hoang Chi Cong

Looking for a special chance.......
Azzianeizar
Occasional Advisor

Hi Ermin,

You're right! There is a file without a name in my (/) folder. It looks like this:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root sys 0 Apr 9 06:00

How do I remove this no name file?

Hoang,

The command I use to execute make tape_recover is as the following:

/opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery -a /dev/rmt/0mn -I -t "$(uname -n) make recovery created at $(date)" -v -x inc_entire=vg00

regards
azzianeizar
Ermin Borovac
Honored Contributor
Solution

Here's one way to remove it.

# ls -i /

Note down inode numbers of your empty file.

# find / -xdev -inum -type f -ok rm {} \;

Remove empty file when asked.
Eknath
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

Try to rename the file, If you have vue you can do it with the help of file manager. Else you need to find out the file name. Think of writing a small script or c program to convert the file name characters to ascii values so that you know what could be the file name..

Cheers!!!
eknath
Azzianeizar
Occasional Advisor

Hi Ermin,

It worked like a charm, although I substitute the rm {} to mv {} new_filename so as to be safe. I also just want to find out what that no name file contains. Anyways, thanks to all for your help. I can redo my make_tape_recovery now.
Azzianeizar
Occasional Advisor

Found the warning of make_tape_recovery due to a file with no name in (/) folder. Remove the file using its inode number. Redo make_tape_recovery.