Operating System - HP-UX
1752647 Members
5603 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: make_tape_recovery continuing

sonysamvarghese

make_tape_recovery continuing

I am first time doing make_tape_recovery.When i put first tape and started make tape recovery,it showed archiving contents via tar image to local device/dev/rmt/0mn and then shows
pax: Ready for volume 2
pax: Type "go" when ready to proceed (or "quit" to abort): go

Now i put the second tape but shows continuing(for almost one hour).
I'm not sure what i need to check further.Can pls help??
Attached is the recovery.log file.
9 REPLIES 9
Safarali
Valued Contributor

HI Sony end of the process you will get message make recovery completed

Safar
sonysamvarghese

Thanks for the reply.Now i see some progress in my make recovery even if taking long time.
Jeeshan
Honored Contributor

what is your tape capacity?

20 or 36 GB?
a warrior never quits
sonysamvarghese

Its 20GB DDS4.
Jeeshan
Honored Contributor

try with 36 GB tape. It shows when your backup size is more than your tape capacity.
a warrior never quits
sonysamvarghese

Does that mean 36GB tape will give warning if backup is above the tape size and 20GB does not?
Is there any way to check the total backup size before i run make_tape_recovery?
Jeeshan
Honored Contributor

no, I mean if you use 36 GB tape it will not give such an error like tape is full or need 2nd tape.

You will calculate your backup size by calculating the file system usage under vg00 volume group.
a warrior never quits
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

and I see you have 3 "extra" lvols in vg00. The size of these will also impact your backup time.

Usual practice is to use vg00 for the Operating System only, as it helps avoid this issue.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

make_tape_recovery is designed only to backup vg00, not the entire system. And vg00 should only have the HP-UX mountpoints, all fitting on one tape. You cannot put a higher density tape into a drive that was not designed for it. The tape will be rejected. Are you using a current version of make_tape_recovery (hint: cat /opt/ignite/Version)? Does your command line look something like this:

make_tape_recovery -I -v -x inc_entire=vg00 -a /dev/rmt/0mn

Note that the tape light should be flashing continuously after you insert the second tape which indicates the tape is busy. Typically it takes an hour or more to fill each DDS tape. There is no method to compute the amount of tape required because the data is compressed internal to the drive. But you be assured that the 1/2 the rated capacity is available (a 40 GB tape always holds 20 GB).

Bill Hassell, sysadmin