New Discussion юеВ

Re: make_tape_recovery from a c3650 to a J6750

SOLVED
Go to solution
Gordon Williams
Occasional Contributor

make_tape_recovery from a c3650 to a J6750

Hi all;

I've been emailing Robert-Jan and he suggested I move this question to this forum. I have a c3650 - PA8700 625MHz CPU that I will be replacing with a new J6750 - PA8700+ dual 875MHz CPU's. Since the c3650 has 36GB and the J6750 has 72GB HDD's I'm thinking the easiest method to do this would be to make_tape_recovery the c3650 and restore that onto the J6750, expanding the filesystems in the Ignite setup screens. The c3650 is HPUX 11i, fully patched and 64 bit (loaded just a few months ago)

My question: Will the OS loaded on the single PA8700 have any issues running on the J6750 with PA8700+ CPU's or should this upgrade be a no-brainer ? I'm also a bit worried about any difference in network drivers, although that should be easy enough to deal with.

Thanks,
Bill Nollman
(using someone elses login)
9 REPLIES 9
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Bill,

I think this should work. I don't think the CPU issue should be a problem. I kind of doubt the network drivers will be an issue unless you are using some sort of card in the J box that you don't have in the C.

The Ignite route would definitely be my first choice. If it doesn't work, you can always fall back to plan B (probably fresh install) at that point.

Good luck!
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi Gordon,

No, I wouldn't anticipate any major problems.
But I would load THE most recent HWE then QPK bundles as soon as the recovery tape load is complete. The systems are similar enough that it should work OK.

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Helen French
Honored Contributor

I would do a fresh installation on the new system. The data can be backed up on a tape (fbackup, cpio, tar) and restore the necessary data to the new one. I would not directly copy any configuration files (/etc), but will edit it instead. If I can install the old HDD on the new system, I would import it (vgimport) on the new one and then copy necessary data.
Life is a promise, fulfill it!
Bernhard Mueller
Honored Contributor
Solution

Bill,

this should work without any problems.

to make it as smooth as possible consider the following:
- cut the make_tape_recovery using the -I (capital i) option to run it interactively.
- you may not only want to resize some filesystems but you could also change the LVM extent size from 4 to 8MB
- you should definitely select the "advanced" option in the "Basic" tab of itools and set "cloning to different HW" to true
Then a new kernel will be generated anyway.

Regards,
Bernhard
Bernhard Mueller
Honored Contributor

(note: -I to run *recovery* interactively)
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Ah Shiju, my friend, don't be such a stick-in-the-mud.
Live on the edge!
Be daring - you only live once. =~))

Best Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Bill,

Look at it this way: What have you got to lose in trying it?

Flame ON!!! Ignite that puppy!! Sauteed to perfection!!

Pete

Pete
Helen French
Honored Contributor

Jeff,

That was funny! I will try that ... but dunno why, I always tend towards a safe side.

Like Harry says "live free or die!"

Happy holidays!
Shiju
Life is a promise, fulfill it!
Gordon Williams
Occasional Contributor

Thanks All !
I feel more confident now and expect there should be little problems (when are there EVER no problems ?). That cloning to differnet hardware option....never noticed that...that sounds like just the ticket !
I'll also reload the HWE and QPK with the latest to be sure there isn;t something in there for the 8700+ CPU's.

Thanks again,
Bill Nollman