SOLVED
Go to solution
Jeff Hagstrom
Regular Advisor

make_tape_recovery

What does the -Ai do? My command looked like:
make_tape_recovery -a /dev/rmt/1mn -I -v
-x inc_entire=vg00 -x inc_entire=bg01.
Will this be bootable interactive tape of the root system? And should take the time and space to backup the /depot directory?
5 REPLIES 5
boley janowski
Trusted Contributor

Re: make_tape_recovery

the A is the core vg00 file system
the i is interactive mode at boot up from the tape.
boley janowski
Trusted Contributor

the if the /depot is not part of vg00, it will not be picked up by the make_recovery
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Hi Jeff:

Your command looks fine. It will create a recovery tape encompassing all of vg00. You also, correctly, specified a no-rewind tape. When booting from this tape, the Ignite process will be interactive because you specified the "-I" option.

Adding the "-i" option would cause make_tape_recovery to run interactively to allow selection of files and directories to include in the recovery archive. The "-A" option identifies the disks and/or volume groups that contain these specified files.

I generate make_tape_recovery tapes of vg00 and use 'fbackup' and/or other third-party backup tools to backup non-vg00 file systems.

I do not specifically exclude any directories from the definition of vg00. The process of making a tape isn't that time-consuming in my opinion.

BTW, don't confuse the '-i' option of the old 'make_recovery' with the '-i' option of its replacement, 'make_tape_recovery'. The '-I' option of make_tape_recovery is the *same* as the '-i' option of make_recovery. '-I' means cause the Ignite process to be interactive when booting from tape.

...JRF...
Peter Maitland
Occasional Advisor

Points Police

This member has assigned points to 2 of 31 responses to his/her questions.

Jeff,

If you want people to go on helping you, you really should go back to your previous postings and assign points to the people who took the time to help you.

Peter