New Discussion юеВ

Re: make_tape_recovery

SOLVED
Go to solution
Todd McDaniel_1
Honored Contributor

make_tape_recovery

Hello,

I am still using the old make_recovery command to make ignite tapes on my 11.11 servers partly out of laziness and I am trying to get my systems updated to using the new make_tape_recovery command. but i am unfamiliar with the options. i know i can run a strict command to backup all essential file structures, but the nuances of the options are what I need help with. I can't seem to find good examples in the IgniteUX documentation.

I do have it loaded and am running 11.11...

I know I can include a level of granularity in my make_tape_recovery command. How do I include Filesystems?

I want to inlcude all of VG00 and parts of VG01, namely my users' home directories on VG01... I have them on 2 different mount points. Here is what I want to backup:

chdcfas1-root:/opt/ignite/recovery
# bdf |grep -e orafin -e home -e vg00
/dev/vg00/root 258048 142415 108444 57% /
/dev/vg00/stand 199381 50777 128665 28% /stand
/dev/vg00/var 1638400 1513784 124616 92% /var
/dev/vg00/usr 1638400 1150654 457296 72% /usr
/dev/vg00/opt 1024000 835583 176650 83% /opt
/dev/vg00/home 307200 134591 161851 45% /home
/dev/vg01/orafinsupt
2048000 627897 1331358 32% /home/finsupt
/dev/vg01/orafindev
2048000 1959217 83429 96% /home/findev

BTW, I have /tmp on another filesystem so I am not backing that up at all.
Unix, the other white meat.
8 REPLIES 8
Hai Nguyen_1
Honored Contributor

You can try this:

# /opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery -Av -x inc_entire=vg00 -x include=/home/finsupt -x include=/home/findev

Hai
John Poff
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Here is one way to try it:

make_tape_recovery -x inc_entire=vg00 -x include=/home/finsupt -x include=/home/findev -I -v -a /dev/rmt/0mn

Having /tmp in a non-vg00 volume group could make things interesting if you have to recover and run from this archive. You'll probably wind up having to make a new /tmp filesystem on your recovered system before trying to run.

JP
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Hi Todd:

Use 'make_tape_recovery' in lieu of the deprecated 'make_recovery':

/opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery -x inc_entire=vg00 -x inc_cross=home/finsupt -x inc_cross=/home/findev -exclude=/tmp -I -v -a /dev/rmt/0mn

...should give you what you want.

The '-I' option will cause the recovery to be interactive should you ever boot from the tape. This will obviate the need to "pounce" on the process during the initial 10-seconds to otherwise interact with it.

Do a man 'make_tape_recovery' for more information.

Regards!

...JRF...
Todd McDaniel_1
Honored Contributor

Thanks for your responses. I was thinking along those lines of using the FS or using the LV name... but wasn't sure which one to use.

As a rule, Our company standard is to have /tmp on a non root VG... I can see there are benefits to having it this way and negatives as well in the case of a recovery...but I think my systems run faster with this configuration.
Todd McDaniel_1
Honored Contributor

James, et al.

One thought about my backing up cross mounted filesystems and about /tmp...

If my OS has crashed, I guess in most cases it wont have crashed my other disks on another VG unless my box is hosed by an electrical problem. I guess in that case it would be a DR situation and i would be recovering to a new box.

Regarding /tmp, I guess for necessity I could create a small /tmp upon restore just for the restore and then reconfigure once I have the box back up...

Such is life... I much rather having /tmp separate from vg00, just my preference.
yogesh_4
Regular Advisor

To complete your task you can use # /opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery -Av -x inc_entire=vg00 -x include=/home/finsupt -x include=/home/findev

or there is another way to do this grafically. Use #make_tape_recovery -i command which will give you one window in that you can include or exclude the Lvs as per your requirements.
Dave Wherry
Esteemed Contributor

I was reading the posts here and then went to the man pages to find the difference between the "include=" and "inc_cross=" options. I noticed what I think is the font making the answers look like they have a mistake.
JRF and John both mentioned the "-I" option for interactive recovery.
The "el" option lets you specify a LAN NIC. A capital i is the interactive option. To me the font makes it look like an "el" in their answers. Use the capital i.
Dave Wherry
Esteemed Contributor

When typing my previous post the "el" and the capital i looked fine in the window where we type replies. Now that I see it in the message the font does get changed and the capital i does look like an "el".
Just be alert to this.