New Discussion юеВ

Re: make_tape_recovery

SOLVED
Go to solution
Becke
Super Advisor

make_tape_recovery

Hi All,

I have Hp version 10.01 and igniteux version 10.01 installed on our server.

what parameters I should use with "make_tape_recovery" command to backup the contents of volume group "vg00", and I also would like to backup the filesystem structure for other vgs to rebuild vgs from the backup tape. I don't want to backup the contents of other volumes groups.

Please help me on the above and tell me the command.

Thanks&Regards,
Raf
16 REPLIES 16
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor
Solution

Well, there is no such thing as Ignite/UX version 10.01. I'll assume that you mean you have the version appropriate for version 10.01, although I'm not entirely sure such a thing ever existed. HP-UX 10.01 has been out of support for SEVERAL YEARS!

Anyway, here is my favorite make_tape_recovery command line:

# make_tape_recovery -a /dev/rmt/?mn -I -v -x inc_entire=vg00

Substitute the appropriate tape device for your system, but be SURE to use the no-rewind option (the ?mn).
Adisuria Wangsadinata_1
Honored Contributor

Hi Raf,

Last time when my OS is 10.20, I used make_recovery command. But now on 11.X, the command is make_tape_recovery. So you can try to use make_tape_recovery command first on your 10.01 (hope is work), below is the command for example :

# make_tape_recovery -A -I -v -x inc_entire=/dev/vg00 -a /dev/rmt/0mn

This will backup the entire vg00 to tape with device file /dev/rmt/0mn.

If you want to exclude some directory, you can use '-x exclude=file|dir' (see the man page of make_tape_recovery).

For different between make_tape_recovery & make_recovery, please see the url below (docID=IUXKBRC00007029) :

http://www2.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/docDisplay.do?docLocale=en_US&admit=-1335382922+1119487235260+28353475&docId=200000076281327

Hope this can help you.

Cheers,
AW
now working, next not working ... that's unix
Becke
Super Advisor

Thanks for your quick response guys, we are running hp os 10.01 on our old legacy system which isn't under support anyway.

I need to know how do I backup the meta data of other volume groups to create mount points. I only want to backup vg00 and its contents but at the same time i would like to backup all the mount points "ONLY" for the other volume groups...

Please advise...we have a wonderfull group..thanks a lot guys
Adisuria Wangsadinata_1
Honored Contributor

Hi Raf,

When you run the make_tape_recovery for entire vg00, the information of all the mount point of other file system will be capture also. Since the information on /etc/fstab, /etc/lvmtab which is apart of vg00.

Other volume groups information is captured when you run make_tape_recovery on vg00.

Hope this information can help.

Cheers,
AW
Con O'Kelly
Honored Contributor

Hi Raf

I'm guessing that you are using an old version of Ignite-UX to backup your 10.x server.

It may be that you can only use make_recovery not the newer make_tape_recovery command.

The syntax for make_recovery to backup your entire vg00 is:
# make_recovery -A -i -d

(Ensure you use no rewind tape device eg /dev/rmt/0mn)

Cheers
Con
Becke
Super Advisor

Thanks for your responses guys, i was away and couldn't reply,

So if i backup the entire volume group vg00, it should backup the filesystem structure for datavg?...means that if i restore it from the tape then the vg00 volume group and its contents will be resotred and the mount points for the datavg volume group..

if the above is true then this problem has been resolved...please advise...

We have a wonderfull team here guys..thanks to all of you
Cheers,
Raf
Devender Khatana
Honored Contributor

Hi Raf,

It seems you are a bit puzzled. When you recover system with a backup which included vg00 only, your other directories (Mount points) will be created as these are directories in root which is part of vg00. I suppose by recovering mount point you mean to say that all file systems of datavg volume group should be created and mounted, but it will not happen by itself.

As recovery from ignite is intended for recovering only failure of the root disks & supose all other disks to be OK with all data intact. If you have multiple disk failures which includes your datavg disks alongwith root disks then you will have to create new VG in those disks which you can define in initail screen while recovering or if disks in datavg were intact you need to activate VG by importing them using vgimport command.

Feel free to write if you are still unclear.

HTH,
Devender
Impossible itself mentions "I m possible"
Becke
Super Advisor

Thanks Devender this makes sense....

Thanks for to all of you...We have a great team....
Adisuria Wangsadinata_1
Honored Contributor

Hi Raf,

Q : So if i backup the entire volume group vg00, it should backup the filesystem structure for datavg?...means that if i restore it from the tape then the vg00 volume group and its contents will be resotred and the mount points for the datavg volume group..

A : Yes, if the usage of make_tape_recovery to recover the boot disk. But if the problem due to the boot disk plus other disks (ex. data disk on other vg), you need to solve it one by one (starting from vg00 a.k.a boot disk first).

Agreed with Devender for multiple disk failure.

Cheers,
AW