1751977 Members
4658 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: net recovery archive

SUBRAMANYAM ANUPINDI_1
Frequent Advisor

net recovery archive

I am planning to archive a HP-UX 11.11 client(client with no local tape drive and new server) over network from another HP-UX 11.11 server(ignite-ux server). The archive is saved in default folder on ignite-ux server. Both are in same subnet mask.

I need clarification on following :

1) The client has more recent GOLDPCK patches than ignite server. Server has sep 2003 and client june 2004. Does this matter ?

2) The client is a new server for which i have to change root, swap mount point sizes.Once archived i will reboot client and at ISL do

boot lan. install

By default DOES ignite interrupt the boot process so that i can change the volume group sizes ( like make_tape_recovery with -I option)
How to verify this on ignite server before i start this.

Thanks

S.Anupindi
11 REPLIES 11
SUBRAMANYAM ANUPINDI_1
Frequent Advisor

I will be using Ignite-Ux GUI on server to create network recovery archive.

Thanks

S.Anupindi
John Dvorchak
Honored Contributor

You can verify that install by actually booting the system to the LAN, as you describe then watching it run. Every time that I have done this it brought up the standard install TUI allowing you to change root password, system name, vg disks and sizes etc. Just select "nework" under Media and then Install then Advanced to get the full Install TUI. It looks just like booting off of a CD or going interactive with an Ignite tape.

I believe that a network recovery is allways interactive, becuase the Ignite server won't know which archive you want to use, unlike an Ignite tape that doesn't offer that option.

Good luck with it. We just started using make_net_recovery and an Ignite server, so far I really like it.
If it has wheels or a skirt, you can't afford it.
Gerhard Roets
Esteemed Contributor

Hi

1. Should not influence the process.
2. THis hardware is very close to matching. Just to be safe monitor the console and there is a point right after booting it where it prompts you to press a key to interrupt batch mode and go to interactive instllation ... do it. From there on you should be familiar with the interace ... Install HPUX
Select Advanced Install
Go!
Tab to File System
Do you changes ... do not forget about the modify button.
Go!

HTH
Gerhard
SUBRAMANYAM ANUPINDI_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

My Ignite server has Inite version B.4.4.12 and the client i am trying to backup has B.5.4.50.

I tried to create recovery archive and it fails. I guess may be because if version incompatiability.

I have presently recovery archive of another HP-UX 11.0 server on Ignite server.

How to procedure from here :

1) Install new version of Ignite B.5.4.50 on
Ignite server. If so, what happens to old
archives ?

2) Install old Ignite B.4.4.12 on client
which already has Ignite B.5.4.50

3) What ever method suggested can i get link
to download version required

4) if you have two versions on same server
which one Ignite will use

Treat this as urgent.

Thanks

S.Anupindi

John Dvorchak
Honored Contributor

First of all NEVER load two versions of Ignite on any one server or client. The easiest way to make_net_recovery is to swremove your new 5.4 version from the client then swinstall the older version from a depot or the Ignite server itself. The error message tells you how to do this.

We have several Ignite servers and one of them is an old version, like you have. We have not explored what really happens if we swremove the old version from the server and swinstall the new one. It would have no effect on the archives already stored on the server, but I don't know if you will have to completely re-configure the server to get it running again.

The other problem is that since you already have a collection of archives, they must have been created with the 4.4 version of Ignite and if you ever need to recover a system it will ok. But if you have since then upgraded the Ignite server to 5.4 then you will have to upgrade the clientes to 5.4 to get them working again.

Short answer, swremove the new version from the client and swinstall the old version on the client. Then everything works as you want it to.

PS. Don't forget to thank all of the respondents here by assigning points.
SUBRAMANYAM ANUPINDI_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi John,

Thanks for quick answer. I din;t forget points. Rioght now i am working on this and as soon as i am done i will do it.

Thanks

S.Anupindi
SUBRAMANYAM ANUPINDI_1
Frequent Advisor

I have three archives of a client presently on ignite server. I remeber i have selected 3 archives to keep when i added the client.

Because of space i want to get rid of old one out of three.

Can i simply delete the oldest file from /var/opt/ignite/recovery/archives/ ?

Thanks

S.Anupindi
John Dvorchak
Honored Contributor

Yes you can delete them or let the Ignite server delete them for you. In the future modify your make_net_recovery with the -n parameter which means how many archives to retain on the server.

To retain 3 archives use:

make_net_recovery -n 3

Man make_net_recovery. The next time you create a net archive it should automatically remove the all but the 3 (including this one) archives.
SUBRAMANYAM ANUPINDI_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

I could successfullt take a backup overnetwork after uninstalling latest Ignite-UX on client.

Now i am trying to boot client at PDC main menu using : boot lan. install.

It is trying to boot but fails with error

failed to initialize with ENTRY_INIT status = -7

1) Where to look for errors
2) On ignite-server where my client archive
is saved, i did

instl_adm -d
It gave me a different IP address. Then i
did instl_adm -d > filename and reapplied
using instl_adm -f filename. This doesn't
solve the problem.

Both the server are on same sub-net mask.

Any help please. I am waiting for input

Thanks
s.anupindi