7404 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: net_recovery : could not start networking

Hamerlik Christophe
Occasional Advisor

net_recovery : could not start networking

Hi

I have made some archives with make_net_recovery. That looks to work perfectly. I have reinstalled them using bootsys from the target and then sometimes it works perfectly and sometimes, at the end of the install process, I have this error : " Could not start networking ". I have the choice of opening one debugging shell. I answer yes and I configure manually my lan0 interface using ifconfig. Then I type "exit 2" for keeping on the install process and it works. Why do I have this message error : "could not start networking". How can I avoid this ?

Best regards, Christophe.
I tried but...
6 REPLIES 6
Tony Tibbenham
Advisor

I have a previous message posted suggesting you check your network card config in e.g. /etc/rc.config.d/hpetherconf
Basically you need to check that the MAC address is not defined, so it picks the MAC address up from the hardware rather from the settings saved in your archive.

See responses to: http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x703bc4c76f92d611abdb0090277a778c,00.html
'sleepy network interfaces'
Hamerlik Christophe
Occasional Advisor

Thanks, I will try but I don't think it will work since it happens to me for the same host (so the same MAC address)...
I tried but...
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

It could be possible that the station address is hardcoded in the corresponding /etc/rc.config.d/hp*conf. On the server where you are taking image, look at hp*conf (hpbase100conf for 100 BT cards, for example).

The second possibility is to check for DHCP and make sure DHCP is set to 0 for all the interfaces on the source system. Particularly for lan0.

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
Hamerlik Christophe
Occasional Advisor

Hi

I have checked both things and it doesn't work better. About DHCP, I have seen that in the configuration of the ignite server we can assign some IP adress with DHCP or BOOTP. What is it for ? I didn't do it. May it be the source of my error ?

Thanks, Christophe
I tried but...
Martin Burnett_2
Trusted Contributor

Hello,

You say it happens on the same host, what kind of system and what type of LAN card is in this host? Also need version of Ignite and HP-UX OS version. There is a known issue when using 10.20 on btlan0 100BT EISA card.

Thanks for participating in the forums,

Martin
Chaos reigns within. Reflect, repent, and reboot. Order shall return.

Hamerlik Christophe
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

The Host is one HP 9000 K420. The os is 11.0 (June 2002). The ignite version is B.3.7.95. The Lan card is 10Base-T.

I know more about my problem now. When trying to recover this station, the recovery process does not complete and hangs in /configure3 program with the following message : ERROR : Could not start networking.

Thanks, cristophe.

I tried but...