Operating System - HP-UX
1753701 Members
5119 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

protect ignite image archive from auto-deletion

protect ignite image archive from auto-deletion

When I run make_net_recovery, ignite is keeping the default of 2 images for each system.

When I am patching, I always take a make_net_recovery image prior to the patching, which I would like to preserve for 2 months. Is there a flag, or any simple method of protecting this image for a set time so that when my weekly make_net_recovery runs, it never housekeeps and removes that image until the expiry date?

I have had a read of the ignite-ux administration guide but I am still stuck.
3 REPLIES 3
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Re: protect ignite image archive from auto-deletion

There is no expiration date, only an archive count. When you run make_net_recovery, you probably did not specify -n 2 (which is the default). Change your command line to -n 10 and now the next 10 will be kept. Once you are past the 2 month limit, you can revert back to -n 2 or so. If you don't have the space, just move the archive (which has a date in the name). Move it up to /var/opt/ignite and call the directory something you'll easily recognize. If you need the archive, move it back to the original location and name.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Deepak Kr
Respected Contributor

see:
man make_net_recovery

-n number_archives
Specifies the number of archives that should remain on the
server at any given time. The default is two (2). If
number_archives is two and there are already two archives
present when a third is being created, make_net_recovery
will remove the oldest archive after successfully creating
the newest archive.
"There is always some scope for improvement"

Thanks for the replies.
I was hoping for a flag to attach to an archive after creation so we could continue with the standard crontab on the hosts and just say "keep the newest two, along with the protected ones".

No to worry- will just have to change the client cron entry for make_net_recovery

Thanks

Giles