1752271 Members
4506 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion

recovery shell problem when booting from an ignite server

jane_10
Occasional Contributor

recovery shell problem when booting from an ignite server

If some important files are accidently removed(eg, init), the recovery shell can be used to restore these files.
My ignite_ux version is B.3.3.116 full version. When I select "install files required to boot and recover HP-UX on the root file system" in the recovery menu(a or b in the menu), the files downloaded are always 11.11.
How can I specify that the files should be 11.0?
1 REPLY 1
Jordan Bean
Honored Contributor

Re: recovery shell problem when booting from an ignite server

As of Ignite B.3.0, the boot install kernel is HP-UX 11.11. Consequently the recovery shell is also 11.11. Unless we can figure out how to make an 11.00 kernel available, then we will not be able to access an 11.00 recovery shell.

My problem is having Ignite B.3.6.82 installed on an HP-UX 11.00 workstation. The boot kernel is still 11.11, but the installed recovery shell set is for 11.00. As you can imagine, trying to run a recovery shell fails because the recovery shell set for 11.11 is not installed.

I too would like to boot an 11.00 recovery kernel, but don't want to monkey with the working Ignite configuration.

As a work around here, I'm experimenting with making the entire boot LIF from the 11.00 core CD available through instl_bootp on another host.