4890 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: restore just vg00 of a Ignite tape made for vg00 and vgdb

Seidel_1
Occasional Advisor

restore just vg00 of a Ignite tape made for vg00 and vgdb

Hi,

I made an IGNITE tape with the volume groups vg00 and vgdb and now I just want to restore the vg00 as the root disk got broken.

I booted from the IGNITE tape and went to the interactive mode. There I marked the disks for vgdb as NONE.

The rest(vg00) with it's lvols remained as it was and I can see that the available disk space is 208 MB, so everything should be fine to restore vg00 !?

Now the problem, when I try to proceed I get the following error and can't continue:
The size specified for volume "/"(1000MB) is not large enough to accomodate the amount of software to be loaded into it (15300)

Does anybody know why that happens and how to solve that ?

Thanks

Andree

P.S. This thread has been moevd from Disk to HP-UX > ignite. - HP forum moderator

2 REPLIES 2
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Ignite will restore EVERYTHING that is on the tape. You can't pick-and-choose when booting from the tape and restoring.

By setting the vgdb disks as none, you are just telling Ignite not to do anything with those disks, don't (re)create the VG on them. Ignite will still try to restore everything in the archive, which you base VG00 now does not have the space for.

This is why including VGs other than VG00 on an Ignite tape is a really bad idea.
Seidel2

Hi,

OK good to know, the situation is so, that I had a cluster system 2+0, now one server(node2) had problems to boot from the root disk.

Currently the whole system is running on node1, also the disks for vgdb are mounted on this node.

How should I proceed now to restore the ignite tape to node2:

1. not to mark the vgdb as NONE ?
or
2. mark the vgdb as NONE and add one more disk to vg00, so that there is anough space to restore also the vgdb stuff(later I could delete it)

I didn't want to try version one, as I am not sure what happens in my situation with the vgdb disks, at least IGNITE is saying all current data would be destroyed.
Is that right, even the disks are mounted(SG) on the other server ?

Thanks

Andree