108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: rp7410 to rp7440

SOLVED
Go to solution
Stephanie L Davenport
Frequent Advisor

rp7410 to rp7440

I need to create a new server (rp7440) that looks like our current rp7410. My suggestion was to use ignite but, I need to know the details of what would be different between the two systems. Would there be huge kernel or driver changes between the two systems?

Also, is it possible to use an ignite image tape to just restore parts of the system (like /usr/bin) instead of the entire system?
3 REPLIES 3
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor
Solution

rp7410 and rp7440 are LIKE systems. You should have no issues cloning from the rp7410. I would however install the latest enablement patches on the rp7410 before creating the ignite archive.

You can limit the archive to only include the utmost important HPUX files, I would not recommend it unless you are going to spend hours making sure that it is absolutely positively not missing something you may need.

Your Ignite image should only include vg00 ( HPUX ) and only HPUX ( unless you want more ). If you have applications installed in /dev/vg00 then you can exclude them from the archive.

This now boils down to how much time and effort is involved. 2-3 hours of cold install and configuration or 12+ hours of trying to strip down your old system just to make it right for the new environment.

Stephanie L Davenport
Frequent Advisor

Tim,

So you are saying that applications (such as jetform) can not be moved from the RP7410 to the RP7440 using Ignite? That is basically why we want to use Ignite... so we don't have to reinstall every piece of software on the system.

The RP7410 has been in use for several years and we want to make sure nothing is missed during the upgrade.
Stephanie L Davenport
Frequent Advisor

blah