1753566 Members
5639 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: server cloning - restore questions

Diane Thompson
Advisor

server cloning - restore questions

I have 2 L2000 servers. Our 'Production' server is HPUX 11.0. Our 'Development' server has just been fully upgraded from OS - now 11i, Oracle, other 3rd party software, some upgraded hardware etc.
I now want to clone my 'Production' server and run through the upgrade process again... I created a make_tape_recovery on the Prod 11.0 server and restored interactively to the 'Development' server. I changed the IP, hostname and root's password. The system came up sparingly on 11.0 but I'm not sure what its current status is... I can only see vg00 even though I included all in the tape. Root's access is acting like I don't have everything in place (access to paths not present) I don't have a syslog. Did I miss anything on the restore? Do I need to boot from the tape again and try the restore again with different options? Can someone assist? Thanks in advance...
8 REPLIES 8
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

How did you "include all in the tape"? I suspect that you simply need to vgimport the non-vg00 volume groups but I've never used Ignite for any thing but vg00, preferring to rely on conventional backups for everything else.

Pete

Pete
Diane Thompson
Advisor

Let me clarify, I meant include all vg00 I have an fbackup of vg01 to restore from. Part of what I've determined is that vsck fails 'unrecognized version number' I successfully completed this restore where the source and target were the same. This is my first attempt to restore to a different host. I can activate vg01 but it won't mount.
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Hi,

If vg01 not was included in the recovery archive it must exist on the destination server exact as it was on the source server, physicsl volumes, physical paths, logical volumes etc. If HP-UX 11i was installed on the destination server and 11.0 on the source I am afraid it is not possible even if the volumegroups is the same.
Diane Thompson
Advisor

From what I understand the architecture is the only thing that must be the same and these are both L2000 servers.
Oskar Ahner
Occasional Advisor

Hi!

You say that "Root's access is acting like I don't have everything in place (access to paths not present) I don't have a syslog."

What run-level are You in and which filesystems are mounted currently?

Since the
Bernhard Mueller
Honored Contributor

Diane,

looks like you created a vg01 under HP-UX 11.11 and now imported it in 11.00.

Bad luck because the vxfs layout version in 11i is 4 and HP-UX 11.00 expects version 3.

you will have to re-run newfs on all /dev/vg01/rlvol#-s under 11.00 in order to mount them.

Regards
Bernhard
Diane Thompson
Advisor

I ended up removing the 11i v4 groups- restoring OS and secondary disk vg01 to 11.0 and ran newfx for the volumes. When I run mount -a I get the following error

vxfs mount: mount option(s) incompatible with file system /dev/oravg1/oravol2
vxfs mount: mount option(s) incompatible with file system /dev/oravg1/oravol1

Is there another step? Does anyone know where the version is stored?