MrViking
Occasional Contributor

trouble restoring from ignite recovery

Had to replace boot disk.
Trying to load from ignite
(running hpux 10.20 on hp9000 kclass)
[i know it's not supported].
however, system hangs.

goes through process of extracting info from tape..
installs special files
boot from client disk
run sd configure scripts-begin
run sd configure scripts-complete
run post configure scripts-begin
apply my network info
executing user specified script
"/opt/ignite/data/scripts/os_arch_post_c"
running in recovery mode (os_arch_post_c)
executing user specified commands.

then it just hangs. LED on SPU shows running F11F...

any ideas?
3 REPLIES 3
Ramesh S
Esteemed Contributor

Re: trouble restoring from ignite recovery

Hi

You could mount the tape on any other system and verify the integrity of tar file in that.

Best Regards,
Ramesh S
Scot Bean
Honored Contributor

You say 'extracting info from tape' yet then describe a boot process that sounds more like a network recovery from an Ignite server archive. Is a tape drive really involved?

If you really did get to the 'executing user specified commands' part of an install, it should almost be complete. This is the part where local config scripts or similar are run.

If this is truly where the hang occurs, I would try breaking out of it with cntl-c. Chances are, your machine has the operating system OK and just some local custom config stuff is hosed.
MrViking
Occasional Contributor

i had to restore from ignite and then apply a backup created using fbackup.

i had to shut down system, bring back up, and start anew. seems to have worked OK.

however, i have new problem. login script checks for quotas, and all users get message 'unknown user' when checking quotas (except root). they can still proceed to login, and do so successfully. however, they can't execute any commands or access databases due to security violations (user unknown). for all users except root, when they execute a ls-l, it does NOT show the user & group names in verbose-rather the IDs. the users are all in the etc/passwd file (as are the groups); all have their own directory in /home. any ideas what happened?