108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

update-ux upgrade 11iV1 to 11iV2

SOLVED
Go to solution
Douglass A Anderson
Frequent Advisor

update-ux upgrade 11iV1 to 11iV2

I am upgrading HPUX 11iV1 to HPUX 11iV2. And hopefully eventually to HPUX 11iV3.

2 questions:
Any gotchas I need to worry about?

I am starting the upgrade and in complains about / needing more space. Is the only way to increase it by running Ignite restore and changing the sizes? If no, what can I do? If Yes, any other sizes I should worry about for this and the V3 upgrade?
5 REPLIES 5
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Re: update-ux upgrade 11iV1 to 11iV2

Hi:

> complains about / needing more space. Is the only way to increase it by running Ignite restore and changing the sizes?

Yes, one way would be to create an Ignite recovery image to tape of the 11.11 installation and cold-install _that_ in the Advanced Installation mode. Doing this will allow you to resize your filesystems according to your specifications.

Then, you could use upgrade to 11.23, although if at all possible I would suggest a cold-install of 11.23 as the cleaner route.

You _do_ need to pay attention to the minimum sizes of the standard vg00 filesystems. You can ascertain the minimal requirements from the Installation and Update Guides:

http://docs.hp.com/en/5992-1978/index.html

http://docs.hp.com/en/5992-6552/index.html

Regards!

...JRF...
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

1, you need to know exactly what is runnig on the server.

2, before you start to make anything with the server you should have a ifgnite backup + data backup.

3, check if the HW is supported to run HP-UX 11v2 / 11v3.

4, in your situation, maybe you could install the 11v3 from sratch.

mikap

Douglass A Anderson
Frequent Advisor

Upgrade to V2 worked perfectly.

Hi Douglas,

Did you use update-ux? I'll go through a migration next year from 11.11 to 11.23, I don't know yet which is the best way for doing the migration... update-ux or cold install, what do you think?

Thanks!
Douglass A Anderson
Frequent Advisor

The upgrade was relatively painless.
Only issues was a few items had to be stopped first (sppooler) and disk sizes had to be adjusted. (re-ignite the os to the same version V1 using tape and increase file systems baced on above attachments.

And afterward had to upgrade ignite for V2.
Other than that it was painless. but your results may vary.