New Discussion юеВ

Re: using ignite (HEEEELP! Urgent )

SOLVED
Go to solution
Danny Pogi
Advisor

using ignite (HEEEELP! Urgent )

hi guys,
this is very urgent!!!! i have an n-class server and an rp-8400...i dont have any tape drive from n-class and i want to boot using ignite from rp8400 to this n-class machine....will somebody give me a complete procedure on how to boot n-class using the dat drive from rp8400 with its(rp8400) ignite.

heres what i need.
1. how to create ignite from rp8400.
2. how to boot n-class with this ignite using rp8400 dat drive.
3. how to configure (/etc/hosts...and all others) to make the dat drive from rp8400 accessible to the n-class server.

thanks.

dan
3 REPLIES 3
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

What you want to do is not going to work. You can NOT boot one machine from a tape drive on another machine.

Your best bet would be to just move the tape drive from the rp8400 to the N and then boot from your Ignite tape.
Danny Pogi
Advisor

thanks patrick, may i then have the procedure for makinng ignite from my rp8400 and the procedure for the interactive mode of booting my N using this ignite? thanks again.
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor
Solution

Dan,

Ignite allows a feature of Network archiving and recovery for the systems which do not have tape drives.

1.If you have a system configured as Ignite server with a default archive then you can use that archive to install the new client.
This could be one such method.

Else also you can create a bootable cd from the existing archives and then use those media to recover or install the new one.

http://www2.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/docDisplay.do?docLocale=en_US&docId=200000066258954
If you cannot get this doc check /opt/ignite/share/doc/makenetrc

2.The second one is what Micheal suggeted.Move the tape drive locally and restore the ignite image to the new machine.

What you can do here is

create a archive on the rp8400 using

# /opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery -a /dev/rmt/?mn -I -v -x inc_entire=vg00

On the way of restoring the image on the new machine check the man pages of the make_tape_recovery and search for "Clone"

It has all the detailed procedure which also includes the interactive mode of booting

revert