1753886 Members
7358 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: /var/opt/ignite/media filesystem location

Rhonda Mokri
Advisor

/var/opt/ignite/media filesystem location

Regarding the two-step media recovery information in the make_media_install script that recommends creating the filesystem /var/opt/ignite/media on vg00. Problem: vg00 doesn't have enough free space but my vg01 volume group does.

Question is whether creating the filesystem /var/opt/ignite/media on vg01 could cause any problems recovering the system. I am motivated to find out the answer as I am performing a Disaster Recovery test at Sungard next week. As I am not quite comfortable using the Ignite software (my only DR test of HP-UX servers two years ago was 'problematic') I am hoping to avoid problems by upgrading to the most current release C.6.7.8 and creating the matching two-step recovery DVD. I've pored through the white papers and Ignite documentation and noted that the make_media_install script mentions that it defaults to the /var/opt/ignite/media directory. I did note that the script mentions the filesystem could be named something different or that one wasn't required but it noted that it was 'recommended'.

Am I fretting over something insignificant or could the decision to create a nested filesystem using vg01 that is under a parent filesystem on vg00 cause me problems? Most importantly, I don't want to risk the recoverability of my production servers. I really want to be able to create recovery DVD's that contain some depot software and drivers that I will need at the DR test which is why I need to create the 'media' filesystem large enough to accommodate the files.

Thanks.
2 REPLIES 2
Scot Bean
Honored Contributor

Note that the current release of Ignite is C.7.8.x (not C.6).

A good test beats a good conversion most days. The good news is that make_media_install is a shell script that you can customize as needed.

Reading the comments in that script, I see # - The choice of /var/opt/ignite/media below in the path to $MD and $PR is somewhat
# arbitrary. You might or might not want to retain the logical volume(s) and
# media image(s) after writing to the media.

Sounds like this is safe directory to change to what works for you.
Rhonda Mokri
Advisor

Scot: Sorry for the typo - we're using Ignite C.7.8.201 so it is the most current release.

Original key question not answered: will creating /var/opt/ignite/media using vg01 cause problems recovering server during a DR test. During the system recovery, is Ignite going to try to reference files in /var/opt/ignite/media or will it get everything it needs from the server image and files that were burned to the DVD during the 'make_media_install' process.

My guess is that it WONT cause problems but I wanted to get other admins feedback before proceeding.