Infrastructure Insights
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: The cost of downtime: How DevOps can save you dollars

acemary

I agree with much of what you’re saying. I can’t say that it’s bull**bleep**, but it’s mostly interpreted wrong by many people (or by me). DevOps is first DEVELOPER, hence the Dev prefix and second Operations. It’s easier to train a developer to do sane operating procedures than to teach a sysadmin the developer mindset (testing, revision control, breaking down to logical units and similar). DevOps is making the old SysOps positions deprecated. SysOps require manpower or attention to do something, at a general term atleast. While in DevOps we strive for an fulle automated system, from the application level down to bare metal, which is out of scope for any normal system administrator. This will become more evident in the years to come when microservices get more traction. With microservices we get a more volatile, highly dynamic environment where manual labor is not an option. Another evidence that the traditional system administrator is getting deprecated is container (docker and similar). Container put the entire OS in the hand of the developers, all required from system administration is a kernel which support containers and maybe storage solutions. A small team of 5 to 10 persons can easily manage 10 000 servers in such a setup (not at containerlevel, but container-host level).

Those who believe DevOps is a developer and a sysop do not see the entire picture, sadly.   PHP Training in Chennai

0 Kudos
About the Author

acemary

Comments
acemary

I agree with much of what you’re saying. I can’t say that it’s bull**bleep**, but it’s mostly interpreted wrong by many people (or by me). DevOps is first DEVELOPER, hence the Dev prefix and second Operations. It’s easier to train a developer to do sane operating procedures than to teach a sysadmin the developer mindset (testing, revision control, breaking down to logical units and similar). DevOps is making the old SysOps positions deprecated. SysOps require manpower or attention to do something, at a general term atleast. While in DevOps we strive for an fulle automated system, from the application level down to bare metal, which is out of scope for any normal system administrator. This will become more evident in the years to come when microservices get more traction. With microservices we get a more volatile, highly dynamic environment where manual labor is not an option. Another evidence that the traditional system administrator is getting deprecated is container (docker and similar). Container put the entire OS in the hand of the developers, all required from system administration is a kernel which support containers and maybe storage solutions. A small team of 5 to 10 persons can easily manage 10 000 servers in such a setup (not at containerlevel, but container-host level).

Those who believe DevOps is a developer and a sysop do not see the entire picture, sadly.   PHP Training in Chennai

Events
June 6 - 8, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada
Discover 2017 Las Vegas
Join us for HPE Discover 2017 in Las Vegas. The event will be held at the Venetian | Palazzo from June 6-8, 2017.
Read more
Each Month in 2017
Software Expert Days - 2017
Join us online to talk directly with our Software experts during online Expert Days. Find information here about past, current, and upcoming Expert Da...
Read more