1752800 Members
5976 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Deploying a Linux Image

Deploying a Linux Image

I am trying to deploy a previous capture image from the same BL460C to itself and the process fails on Waiting for RAM response

Any clues. Here is the screen shot
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Deploying a Linux Image

My apologies. I am using ICLE 2.0
Fred Cassirer

Hi Mario,

Try connecting a web browser to the iLO console for your system and monitor the output stream. Post that back here if you could. The engine is in a state where it is attempting to send commands to the standalone ramdisk kernel that was pxe booted. Something is preventing that kernel from proceeding and it will probably be evident looking at the console window during the boot process.

-FredC

here is the output
Rigoberto Corujo
Frequent Advisor

Mario,

In your original attachment, there was a partial console window hidden behind the ICE-Linux window. The console window had "Killing off Running Processes". What did the output before that message look like?

I think in one of the other threads you had posted, you also mentioned that you were stuck at the "Waiting for Ram Disk Response". Mitch had replied and then you replied claiming success. Do you remember what you did last time to correct this issue?

Rigoberto

I am trying the process again. I was unable to find out why this time it is not working. some reason the issue seems to come and go.

I am trying again and let me see if I can get more information

Here is my test again. this time I am getting a whole different result.

the screen currently ( as I am typing ) is on the Waiting for RAM DISK Response on the ICLE 2 side and on the Busybox on the Remote server side.
Mitchell Kulberg
Valued Contributor

Hello Mario,

I can't be sure, that that screen LOOKS like the ICE-Linux RAMdisk booting up. Has it been sitting there long? I have seen some servers that pause there and try and access the floppy for a while (5+ minutes) until it finally realized there is no floppy and then it goes on.

But we really want to make sure of what we are looking at.

Next time you try, watch the system console from the very beginning. Here is what you should see:

If the system is up, you will see it shut down.

The you should see the server power on self test

Then it should try and PXE boot

After that you should see the ICE-Linux RAMdisk menu, which should stay up for 10 seconds

Then it should boot over the network. Make sure it doesn't say 'booting from local disk'

And finally, you should see the RAMdisk boot up.

Please verify that this is what you are seeing.

Mitch

Thanks Mitch

This is getting stranger. Here is what is going on.

My target server is up and has been discovered by ICLE 2.0
I say deploy an image to this server which runs through the normal process , shutdown, bootup from pxe, ram disk,.... on the ICLE 2.0 console I see it is waiting for ram disk, it goes right uptil 98% and then fails

on the target server ILO console I see the entry " press enter to active console " I dont do any thing and wait till the ICLE console says failed.

I then go back to the list of servers in my icle 2.0 select the same server that failed and run deploy and this time it fails on step 2. " Very Strange"

I then delete the entry of that server from my server list and run re-dsconver again for only that server ip and it discovers it successfully.

I then proceed with running the deploy image on the same re-discoverd target server and this time everything works well

My image is deployed and verified.

Some how re-discovering of the box again reslolved the issue.

nothing was changed except remove the server from the list and re-discovering it.

Rigoberto Corujo
Frequent Advisor

Mario,

The first time you discovered this node, did you change anything about it like the "Preferred Name", for example?

Rigoberto